Attic access panel question

For access to the attic, my house had a 22" square drywall board. I managed to break it in half over the weekend. Is there anything in the fire codes (I live in Maryland) that limits what they can be made of?

The reason I ask is because I had a spare sheet of plywood in my garage. I've trimmed it to the correct size, put joint compound on it to get the texture to match the ceiling's, and primed and painted it. The paint is drying right now.

However, it occured to me that using a wooden board may violate some kind of fire code. Is there anything wrong with what I've done?

Reply to
Specialk

I don' tknow hte codes, but many houses do have plywood. It could be your builder used what was cheap and handy at the time.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

you might want to add some insulation to the 22" square whatever you use, supposedly if not insulated those access points can lose major heating or a/c

Reply to
effi

Most I have seen are drywall. I have never had a problem with that. However if you are going to handle it a lot, you might want to back it with some plywood. Drywall is a good fireproof material and I believe should be used. As for code requirements, you will need to check locally as they are not universal.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

The original didn't have anything on it. That's a good idea. Thanks.

Reply to
Specialk

Drywall is also better sound insulation than plywood, if there's anything in your attic that makes noise, like blowers. Personally, I'd do plywood with drywall on the bottom and rigid insulation on the top.

Reply to
Joshua Putnam

There's nothing in the attic. The AC/heat pump is in the basement.

That's a good idea about the drywall & insulation.

Reply to
Specialk

Hi, Where I live having insulation on the access panel is code. You can have styrofoam panel glued to it for an example. Bare panel is not allowed. Tony

Reply to
Tony Hwang

styrofoam is code? seems real flammable...

Reply to
effi

No code requirement unless it's in the garage, then drywall would be required. The opening is supposed to be at least 22 X 40, by the way.

Dan

Reply to
Dan