Attery Chargers/Starters

I've bought two of those. They work great. Here's a tip if you buy one. If your battery is really low and you use the charger on the logical settings, like "charge" on the 10 amp setting, you may fine the "charge complete" light will come on right away but it won't have charged the battery. That's got something to do with how the thing senses the ability of the battery to take current, apparently really low batteries fool the charger into thinking no charge is needed. The way around that is to leave it on the 10 amp setting but put the other switch on "boost" instead of "charge". As to the 50 amp thing, that's about all you are going to get out of that small a transformer in a small charger. I know when a battery is low and you put it on boost the meter needle bangs over to the right from the high current. A starter on old V-8s typically would draw 150 amps to start the car. I would guess a 4 cylinder with a battery too weak to start it, but not ruined and shorted, could be started with the 50 amp boost. You might need to give it a 10 amp charge for 15 minutes first and then switch to boost. Or a few minutes set on 50 amp boost to force some charge quickly into the battery. I would expect the charger to overheat if you used it that way very long.
"Walter E." wrote in message
I am considering a Harbor Freight battery charger on sale for $ 29. The specs show 10 A charging current, 2 A trickle charging and 50 A emergency car starting.
Will 50 Amps start modern cars? I thought it was higher than that.
-- Walter
NO it will not start you car 50 A. it is similar to 10 just that is not regulated and not filtered to be good DC. 50 A. will speed up charging, suggestion not to use longer then 15 minutes at time or less.

start most cars. If the battery is stone dead, it won't. Never leave the charger on the 50 amp setting for more than a min ute or two. Proper procedure is to use the 50 amp ONLY when cranking so you don't get excessive voltage to your electronics - if, for instance, you have an intermittent open circuit in the battery, or a bad battery cable to battery connection.

It will try to charge very hard and add additional power from battery. Mine broke. Perhaps something I Did ?
Greg