Attaching homemade headboard to wall

I've pretty much decided to create a simple headboard using a 1" by 12" board that I will cut to about five feet long and cover with foam and fabric. I want to attach it to a wall under a window, so it needs to come out about six inches from the wall.
Any suggestions?
I was thinking of using six-inch lengths of 4" x 4", attaching them to the wall, and attaching the headboard to them. But is it possible to attach a six-inch long 4" x 4" to the wall? Do they make screws that long?!!
Thanks in advance.
--
8^)~~~ Sue (remove the x to e-mail)
~~~~~~
Suzie-Q wrote:

Put an l-shaped lip on it before you upholster it.
| v >|--| Screw ( > ) from the front of the headboard, use a | piece of 1 by 6 for the horizontal piece, 1 by 4 | for the "hook" on the back | |
^ Headboard (End view)

:-) No need for all of that! when you buy the 1 by 4, get an 8' length, what you don't use for the 5' hook will be plenty of scrap to make yourself two brackets to hold the thing. Make the brackets and make sure you hit studs with them, and you'll be set. Combination of gravity and the hooks will keep it siting on the brackets.
Each bracket is made from 3 pieces of wood. Doing some quick math here...8' - 5' = 3' of wood left over, divided by 2 = 18" for each bracket, you'll need 3 pieces, so cut 6 pieces each about 6" long (they'll be hidden, not critical length)
Here's what your bracket looks like (best I can do with text characters)--
| End view, 3 pieces of 6" 1" by 4" | v ( The v and ^ are screw locations ) ---- ^ | |
And how the headboard bracket lip will sit on the brackets: XXXXXX (End view) | X Headboard "hook" | X sits in this groove ---- | > | Screw this surface to your wall
It *IS* going to tilt a little! -- The bottom of the headboard will naturally tilt in towards the wall. If that's not good for your taste, you'll need to add a couple of support pieces at the bottom to keep that from happening.
The hardest part should be getting the height where you want it. Do your best with a tape measure and level to place the two brackets, and don't be surprised if you need to re-mount them an inch higher or lower than your estimate. Remember, they'll be hidden.

No problem.
--
TP / Network Man __________________________________
If u want the races for free,

I have some experience as a handy-man and wood worker and this is the type of project that I feel I may be of help with. If this were my project,I would do it this way:
I would cut 2 sections of 1X12 six inches long. I would attach these 2 sections to the wall using drywall screws and medal brackets [the type used for securing joists-very inexpensive] Position the brackets inside of the 6" end pieces. Now attach the 5' piece of 1X12 to the ends of the 6" pieces using drywall screws. I always use drywall screws for these type projects. They are strong,cheap and easily removed if necessary. Also you may want to add another board to the top to make an enclosure. Hope this helps.Good luck with your project!

are you adverse to attaching it to uprights that attach to the bed frame?

and have the screw head (and maybe washer) go through two inches of 4x4 and then into the wall.
Another option would be to attach the "spacer" to a sheet of 3/4 inch plywood, and then attach the plywood to the wall. Then you can screw through the plywood into the 4x4.
If you use the other poster's suggestion of attaching the headboard to 1x12x6" spacers, i would definately cut another spacer to fill the right angle:
Top view: WALLWALLWALLWALLWALLWALLWALLWALLWALL ^ Ewwww wwwwE 6"Ewww         wwwE | Eww wwE v Ew             wE EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE <-face board
E = edge of board w = flat of board.
Inside view: |F|wwwwwwwwwW |A|EEEEEEEEEA |C|wwwwwwwwwL |E|wwwwwwwwwL
This will prevent racking of the box and make the whole thing much stronger.
good luck
--
be safe.
flip

dags 'french cleat'. it's just a board ripped lengthwise at an angle. mount one half on the wall, the other on the headboard.
We made a headboard once - used plywood then covered it. We attached it to the bedframe. It was unbelievably heavy - trying to move the bed for any reason - was a PITA. I've seen the headboard fastened to the walls in some motels where we stayed and thought it was a smart choice. Of course, changing the covering if you get tired of what you have might be a problem.