Attaching an addition

A friend of mine is building an addition to his house and wants to know about how it should be attached.
Does the addition have to be attached to the underlying wood frame of the house or can it be attached to the brick exterior? I suggested the frame, because I thought the movement of the ground might bricks to break or pull loose. But the foundation for the addition is going to be set below the frost line, so I don't really know the answer.
Mike
upand_at snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Tie the structure of the addition to the main structure.
No permits required where you are? Asking such a question makes me wonder about who's designing the addition. Knowing how to tie in an addition is pretty basic stuff. You might want to run the plans (please, please, have plans) by someone knowledgeable to make sure there weren't any oversights or questionable construction methods/details.
I add my voice to Ricco's. That question is basic framing. It leads me (Ricco & I are practicing architects) to wonder about the success of the project. TB
On 14 Mar 2006 14:09:20 -0800, " snipped-for-privacy@bellsouth.net"

Red Green would use duct tape.
All others should listen to Rico.
Ken

duct tape is like the FORCE. it has a light and dark side and holds the universe together