Attaching a valance

I'm making a 12-foot valance with 8x13" sides. It will be made from white pine and have a recessed top set into a groove in the back of the front valance piece. My question is how to properly attach it to the wall? I know I will be finding and using studs, but how are valances usually securely attached?

expanding toggles allow easier locating, studs arent where you want them
Metal angle brackets, screws, moly bolts, as appropriate, do the trick. If you put the angle bracket BEHIND the pine piece, you will see very little of it. Sort of depends on how close you are. Try to hook into studs with screws, otherwise use moly bolts.

It the drapery world valences and cornices (more like what you described) have a top board, the side legs and the face board. They are attached to the wall using angle brackets. There is really no need to worry about hitting studs as the legs add a measure of support. One angle bracket every 4' screwed to a stud or attached with a toggle will keep it on the wall as long as you want. With an 8" projection I would suggest that you use at least a 5x5 angles and a 6x6 would be better.
You simply attach the angle bracket, set the top board on that and secure with screws.
To achieve"level" you simply measure down from the ceiling the same amount for each angle.
Colbyt