Attach cabinet to wall (earthquake)

My cabinet is 7 ft tall by 4 ft wide and 1 ft deep.

The front and sides are glass and the back is mirrored.

Decorative wood molding runs along the front and two sides -- but not on the back -- of the top of the cabinet.

How can I bolt the cabinet to the wall so the cabinet doesn't fall over in an earthquake?

Reply to
gary

My cabinet is 7 ft tall by 4 ft wide and 1 ft deep.

The front and sides are glass and the back is mirrored.

Decorative wood molding runs along the front and two sides -- but not on the back -- of the top of the cabinet.

How can I bolt the cabinet to the wall so the cabinet doesn't fall over in an earthquake?

Contact cement? ww

Reply to
WW

Gary,

The cleats on the top which back the molding look to be substantial and well screwed to the top. Some sort of attachment hardware on the cleats, wall anchors, then some wire between the wall and the cleats. How big an earthquake do you expect?

Dave M.

Reply to
David L. Martel

the back -- of the top of the cabinet.http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb347/gcotterl/P1050294_zps784094...

n an earthquake?

Gary-

The number one thing you want to prevent is the cabinet toppling over. Toppling is the first failure mode for tall narrow pieces.

The next issue is how the contents will behave during the e/q.

Simple / cheap ....two angle brackets like Simpson A21 or A23. Attach to the hidden top deck of the cabinet and the farthest apart wall studs. Use screws long enough to get at least 1-1/2" grip in stud preferably more

More expensive but a lot sturdier .... use an aluminum angle with a leg long enough to give the screws some edge distance on the cabinet top. The overall length of the pieces should be as long at the cabinet top. Screw to every stud available.

Reply to
DD_BobK

You could screw a length of 2x4 to the wall, into studs, tight against the top of the cabinet. The cabinet trim will hide it. It could also be screwed to the cabinet top as well as the wall but that isn't needed

Reply to
dadiOH