Right.

OK, I didn't know that.

Reply to
Jan Philips

It is RG-59.

Reply to
Jan Philips

t I'll

screw on ones are very bad for satellite use, where they must carry power.

dont use for sats............

Reply to
hallerb

OK, it is on. The twist type was easy to do. I'll have to wait before I can test it. The package says the twist type is for antenna only, use a crimp or solder type for cable. I'll see if it works well enough.

Reply to
Jan Philips

And thanks for all the useful replies.

Reply to
Jan Philips

screw on ones are very bad for satellite use, where they must carry power.

dont use for sats............

The screw on type and the crimp on type suck, but if you don't have compression tools and fittings, you do the best you can

Reply to
RBM

RG-59 is the old residential standard, because it was cheap, thin, and flexible. When Cable/Satt and HD came along, they needed better signal quality, so they switched to the thicker RG-6. Current standard is RG-6Q, for Quad Shield. If you are just on an antenna, the RG-59 should be fine for now, and may work even if you get fancier TVs and signal sources later, if it was carefully installed. At some point, if you have problems, you may want to replace selected runs of the 59 with 6. Hopefully, the EE didn't staple it to any studs, or run it around any tight corners, so you can just attach the new cable to one end, and pull it back through using the old cable as a pull cord. Premade RG-6Q cables with good compression fittings are widely available in 25, 50, and 100 foot coils. Being lazy, if I ever get around to rewiring this place, that is what I will probably use. A decent compression tool costs a lot more than a crimper, and I hate to buy expensive tools for a 1-time job. (Unless I can sweet-talk the satt guy at work into letting me borrow the company tool kit for a weekend, or something...)

-- aem sends...

Reply to
aemeijers

The house is wired with RG-59. We have HD in another room and it seems to work OK.

Reply to
Jan Philips

By working great they certainly screw on well. but they aren't known for longevity and performance. Even the cable TV companies who are well known for "economy" work will not use twist on connectors.

Reply to
George

I have used twist-on connectors once. There were a lot of noise and interference problems. Crimped connectors were better, but came off too easily. Compression connectors stay on.

BTW, The only compression connectors I have are for RG6.

Reply to
Mark Lloyd

I must have good luck with them, although I have never had satellite and haven't had cable since.... 1984. Now it's an off air antenna with a rotator.

Reply to
Tony

You don't see those much anymore. I was in a store a couple of years ago and there was a guy who had cable all his life, but was giving it up for an antenna. He didn't know how an antenna setup worked.

Reply to
Jan Philips

HD or Lowe's is probably the best place to find them.I think they cost

10 for $6.00 for the screw on kind I hate F connectors, it not a matter of if they are going to fail it is a matter of when. The biggest maintenance task the cable guys do is going around replacing cable ends. Its not that the ends are poorly made, they are poorly designed. The cables copper center conductor that forms the male part of the connector will eventually corrode.
Reply to
JIMMIE

I don't recall seeing them in HD, but Lowe's and Menards have TV antennas. I think Menards has rotators as well.

We have satellite (DirecTV), but we still use an antenna to receive our local PBS station's additional programming that DirecTV is not transmitting. This includes the MHz Worldview channel, which has news broadcasts from many countries and many foreign-language movies (subtitled, of course) -- Italian, Norwegian, French, Icelandic, etc. Also Australian Rules Football!

Perce

Reply to
Percival P. Cassidy

That's interesting. It seems to me antenna signals are the weakest signals such cables will carry, and if anything, they would need the soldered connector because they are so weak.

But there are a lot of things I don't know.

P&M

Reply to
mm

Yes, I had the Cable Guy out here a couple of years ago about the internet frequently dropping and he replaced a few connectors and solved the problem.

Reply to
Jan Philips

Other signals carry more information so they are probably more susceptible to noise.

Reply to
Jan Philips

LOL, I suppose the younger generation doesn't know much about TV antenna's. I had cable back when the best part of cable was having NO Commercials! Now you pay twice!

Reply to
Tony

I just found a way to get one of my local PBS stations. I was really missing it. The mountain behind me makes things tricky. It blocks a lot of signals from the closer stations, and it plays tricks with the stations I do receive. Some of my stations I have to turn the rotator to a different direction than were the signal is coming from. I think some of the signals bounce off the mountain and then to me. Actually it helps in some ways because otherwise another mountain blocks the line of site path to some of the channels.

Reply to
Tony

Thats really the main reason why cable companies don't use/won't accept big box quality connectors.

Reply to
George