Atomic clock

The other day I noticed that our atomic wall clock was running with all the hands going round and round and not stopping. I guess it was searching for the correct time but I am not sure? Thking oout the barrery and pressing the buttob for ET I did it to the right time. Anyone have this happen?

Is this typical for a webtv user?
Red Green wrote:

And posting via Google Groups too.... Yup, it seems to be the rule, not the exception.
--
There was once a young man who, in his youth, professed his desire
to become a great writer. When asked to define "great" he said,

No. They usually post like somebody tapping away on a cellphone.

Danger - Danger !! This happens when there is a radioactive isotope leak. The clock should be disposed of in accordance with hazardous material instructions.
Sorry, couldn't resist. I hate the name of atomic clock. Thhey are no more atomic than a roll of toilet paper.
Bob-tx
Bob wrote:

luckily, they are being labeled radio clocks these days. now, if i'm just not killed from the low frequency electro magnetic fields they use. never mind, that's only in Califunia.
-- larry / dallas
larry wrote:

There's really little wrong with the common usage of "atomic" here. Nobody says or thinks that they are "atomic powered". Everyone knows what the term means.
Rick Brandt wrote:

Hi, No synchronized to Cesium based atomic clock. It should be able to receive signal. It does synching once a day. If it lose signal for some reason, it will sych when signal is available. I wear a watch. In the night when synch. time comes you can watch it synching moving second hand forward of backward. I synch. other time pieces in the house listening to WWV radio signal usually at 10 MHz.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I have a wall calendar and manually synchronize it once a month.
The system works pretty well.

Awesome! Where does one get such a device? Inquiring minds want to know.

Save your money. Most of them wear out in a year or so. Talk about planned obsolescence.
Tony Hwang wrote:

I have found sales and closeouts on radio clocks for $2-$10 and now have nothing but radio clocks. Except for the rolling stock, and I'm working on that. Paid for themselves in ebay sniping wins ;-)
- larry/dallas
larry wrote:

Hi, This radio clocks are made for NA, EU and Asia. So my watch is no good if I travel outside NA.
The "atomic" reference is perhaps a bit strong, but these clocks do derive their accuracy from the NIST/National Bureau of Standards atomic clock in Colorado, and thus have the same intrinsic accuracy (but not the precision) as their source. They therefore do not display or measure time to the .1 nanosecond per day precision of the source (the NIST Cesium clock in Boulder) but they do maintain accuracy to the same NIST standard except for small propogation errors due to the radio connection.
Smarty

Smarty wrote:

Hi, Via radio signal such as WWV. If the clock is located poorly it can receive the signal.

But did you know they check the atomic clock with a cat? Cats are more accurate with time than anything on this planet. Ask any long time cat owner.
Doesn't anybody recognize a time vortex when they see one? I expect Sherman and Peabody to be nearby ....somewhere....
Sometimes atomic clocks lose their marbles (from garbled transmissions). Temporarily pulling the batteries will reset them.