At what PSI does a plastic soda bottle explode? (home CO2 carbonation)

Considering all the above .................. were these tests conducted on brand new (previously unusd) or 'used' ad emptied bottles?

Used bottles having been previously stressed by the 'normal' pressure of soft drinks.

Reply to
terry

What volume of gas is contained in an automotive tire:

Those guys came up with 10 liters at 30psi, given:

  • Inside diameter of rubber tire 15" = ~40 cm = 4 dm
  • Outside diameter of rubber tire 21" = ~50 cm = 5 dm
  • Width of steel wheel 6" = ~15 cm = 1.5 dm
  • Pressure inside the rubber tire 30 psi
  • Temperature 25° C

The volume inside the tire is the volume difference between two cylinders, one representing the entire wheel/tire assembly and the other representing just the wheel.

The volume of a cylinder is V = p × diameter × height where diameter is twice the radius.

Note: For your particular tire and wheel assembly, you can use the Tire Diameter and Circumference Calculator at:

They used the numbers below:

For just the steel wheel, the volume p × (4 dm ¸ 2)2 × 1.5 dm = 19 cubic decimeters (i.e., 19 liters).

For just the rubber tire assembly, the total volume p × (5 dm ¸ 2)2 × 1.5 dm = 29 cubic decimeters (i.e., 29 liters).

The volume difference is just 10 liters (which means that the air in the tire will mass about 26 grams).

Another volume calculation is here:

guys came up with 30 liters for an average truck tire.

This volume calculation puts a car tire at 1 to 2 cubic feet of air:

BTW, what happens to the mass if we use a different gas than air, like carbon dioxide?

Reply to
LM

This tire volume calculator works better:

Kat Rabun

My P225/55R16 Traction=A, Temperature=A, Treadwear=480 car tires calculate to 14.76 liters each (60 liters for four tires).

So a four-foot manifold with eight 2L Coke bottles hanging down would completely fill one tire.

Reply to
Brent

From: Coca-Cola Support

Reply to
Elmo

That's no volume control - it's an on/off switch. They can say whatever they want but I own one. Any touch strong enough to release the air causes enough noise to make someone jump.

Reply to
dgk

I own 2 on bicycles and one hand held I use as a backup on my boat. There is a VOLUME CONTROL on the side. It is a little knob connected to a cam that squeezes the air tube to reduce volume.

Once again...

RTFM

Reply to
salty

I'll take a look - that would be a good thing. I don't recall that I ever saw a manual.

Reply to
dgk

It's one of the bright red or orange bits on the side. Just a little lever attached to a cam that constricts the hose as you rotate it.

Reply to
salty

You are correct and you have made my life a little bit better. That horn was really too loud and now I can attenuate it so the target doesn't die of a heart attack. It gets so messy when that happens.

I have to attach it to my new bike. I don't bother using it during the winter because there aren't that many joggers clogging the bike lanes. Now they're out in full force.

Reply to
dgk

For pedestrians and joggers, I find that clicking my brake levers is usually sufficient to alert them. It doesn't hurt to call out "On your left" as you approach, so they hopefully don't move the wrong way to evade you.

I use the horn (at full volume) for cars that do anything threatening, like pulling out of a driveway yakking on their cell phone.

It's very effective at getting their attention.

Reply to
salty

I hydrostatically tested one at 150 psi (a cheap thin one) and it was just fine. HTH :-)

Bob

Reply to
zxcvbob

Clicking the brake lever? For folks blasting music into their ears? I have an actual bell on the bike and they don't hear that.

Reply to
dgk

If they have ear buds and music blasting, then obviously I blow the air horn.

I can also yell and whistle pretty loud.

Reply to
salty

Yes. Burst design value is 200PSI. Burst testing regularly done a most PET bottle blowmold mfg plants. It's part of quality control.

Can they blow a lower pressures? Certainly. Nothing's perfect. Sometimes they pop at higher pressures. Bottles go through SIGNIFICANT deformation before popping. Will they pop at normal usage pressures? Not likely. Coca Cola & Pepsi have billions at stake to lose in lawsuits from angry consumers and hungry lawyers. They R not fools. Their PET bottle do not often pop at 55PSI common working pressure. One out of a trillion? quintillion? billion? I have no clue. But not often enough for them to lose money. Otherwise they'd make their bottles thicker and stronger.

Interesting graphic documentary...

Interesting videos... Popping one with co2 powered keyboard dust blower...

Air compressor co2 blowups...

_________________________ Message sent through

MikeSpike

It's amazing you got a letter from them telling you anything at all. If you wanna blow $100, you can buy the voluntary spec's publication from the beverage producers association. That document is supposed to cover in detail all aspects of PET bottle design voluntary standards.

_________________________ Message sent through

MikeSpike

Many people are using nitrogen in their tires now and paying a premium for it. The benefits are not so from the physical qualities of the gas, but th e fact that the gas contains absolutely no water. So the tire pressure cha nges less due to temperature changes.

Reply to
tmovoice

Be careful you know they don't check them all, only a significantly large statistically relevant sample. A bad batch of plastic and not all the defectives may be removed be fore shipping.

Reply to
tmovoice

Some of the benefits most certainly are from the physical properties of the gas. Aside from the benefits due simply to lack of water vapor, the hydrogen migrates less thru the tire structure and that makes the tire pressure stay up longer then when you use plain old air. In addition, the nitrogen does not oxidize the tire materials the way the oxygen in plain old air does and that also is beneficial to tire life. All that said, for most people the benefits of nitrogen are relatively small and if you pay much for it you may not recover that extra cost. For truckers the benefits are much greater,particularly the benefits of the tire components not being oxidized since they will retread a truck tire many times over it's carcass life. And with nitrogen the carcass will last longer.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I've heard that you can use metal lamp connector rods that are threaded on both ends. Apparently someone did that with water bottle rockets.

bigethandodds