AT&T rural phone service

Page 3 of 3
On 1/9/2015 8:34 PM, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

Interesting in that they switched me to FIOS line a couple of years ago as copper was dying. I still have one phone but switched other to Comcast cable as cheaper package.
Verizon sends me the same bill as with copper and you get none of the extra services that come free with Comcast like caller id and long distance. Think phone company wants to keep old customers that don't have other services.
If dish is only way you can get internet and TV, maybe they have a package that include phone and you can eliminate the phone company.
On Mon, 12 Jan 2015 13:06:20 -0500, Frank

My CL POTS phone, 10mb internet and Dish package is comparable to the same deal with Comcast and a whole lot better reliability. The POTS is actually almost free on the bill (just the taxes) and comes with the full boat of services (caller ID, Waiting, Conferencing and a bunch of other features I will never use) They throw in free long distance.
When they pitched Prism,(VOIP and TV over the phone line) it was pretty much the same price after the promo period.
If the lie they told me about an external drive on the DVR was true I might have done it. Alas the box they pitch does not allow USB drive.

It is NOT recommended for use with skype. The gaps/pauses are too distracting
notbob wrote:

We live about 11 miles from town , and a mile+ off the paved road . I'm not certain they've buried fiber optic cable on the highway past our place (but I do know there is FI cable in the area and more being laid) , but I've got a 6Mb/756Kb/sec DSL connection on my landline . Our service comes in overhead to a tombstone that splits it out to several homes nearby and comes onto my property underground - 4 twisted pairs in the cable to my house (I know this because I accidently cut it when digging for foundation supports for our house) .
--
Snag