At a complete loss with a viking fridge

Hi,
I bought a used viking fridge from someone on craigslist. I need to replace several parts, but the label with the model number and serial number is worn:
http://freeboundaries.com/Vik.jpg
I need to replace a few parts in it, but the distributor will not do it without the model number. They are unable to tell me the model number. I cannot obtain the name of the person I bought it from, since he knows that he sold me a lemon. So I can't check the warranty information.
Parts are not labeled so I am unable to order by part number.
What can I possibly do to determine the model number of this fridge?
Thanks in advance!
Sam

Your link didn't work for me. Have you had the back off? Sometimes there is a couple pages taped inside appliances. Usually an ipb and maybe some other info.
jamesgangnc wrote:

Sorry:
http://freeboundaries.com/Vik1.jpg

Sorry but all your picture does is prove the numbers were worn off. You didn't need to do that, we believed you.
Did you take the back off? Have you looked else where like inside?

My recommendation is to take a good pic of the front, back and inside of the fridge and put them on your webserver. Then google "appliance forum" and post your question with links to pics to as many links that come up. You'll get the widest range of users and repair pros. Someone will have a clue which model it is.
Also, I'd check for a serial on the compressor. I'm sure there will be a few models that use it but it will narrow down the search a bit.
HTH
Matt

first, actually post a pic titled Vik.jpg in the root of the freeboundries server or the virtual path that refers to it. ;)

First I would measure your fridge and then look at the Viking web site. Armed with that information you can rule out models that are obviously not the model you have.
Once you have an idea of what you might have, then use the contact information and ask Viking how to determine the model you actually have.
I suspect that depending on what parts you might need, the parts might be the same. For instance all 36 inch wide top freezer models might very well use the same door gasket, or control knob.
You can also look at the compressor and it will have it's own data plate. From this you might be able to determine the age of the compressor and work out that the fridge can't be newer than a 1990 model for instance. This will also narrow down the possible model numbers.
What is wrong with the unit?
--

Roger Shoaf

Have you tried dusting it with fingerprint powder or talcum powder of something similar, and shining a light on it at an angle to see if that brings out any additional image?