asphalt shingles

After hurricanes Charley and Frances took @20 shingles off our roof, we decided that it's probably time to put new shingles on (they're at least 15 or more years old). Is it worth it to pay more for shingles or are the cheaper 3 tab ones just as good? We live in Florida and our shingles tend to turn black with mildew or ? Life something that is good for hot & windy areas. Also...is it worth it to remove the old shingles first? I've noticed that a house on our block that recently had new shingles put on over the old ones, had lots & LOTS of shingles blown off during one of the hurricanes. Not sure if the double layer of shingles had anything to do with it or not. Appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Sandy

Reply to
sandy

Buy anti-fungus shingles...... watch out because they may only be available in certain colors. Make sure the color you buy is anti-fungal.

Removing the old roof is always better.

Make sure you buy plenty of spare bundles to replace future blown off shingles since shingles styles are discontinued almost yearly.

Shingles have warranties. 15,20, 25 or more years. For the most part you get what you pay for.

Reply to
Art

If you are going to do anything other than just replace the broken shingles, then put on an entire new roof (underlayment PLUS shingles) AFTER removing the old one. Be sure to use only Florida statewide approved shingles and have them nailed with a six nail pattern for increased wind resistance.

TIPS: Be sure to have the sheathing renailed to current building codes. While you are at it, consider a secondary waterproofing membrane - see

consider an upgraded underlayment (non-organic rather than organic felt) for longer roof life.

You may be able to get significant insurance benefits from "windproofing" your home. Call your insurance company for details.

Reply to
Travis Jordan

Reply to
Don Young