Ashphalt Shingle roof leaks at the nail holes.

I have an older ashphalt shingle roof There is a spot about 2 swuare yards where water is seeping through the nail holes.

replacing the whole roof is not yet an option.

What are possible temporary fixes to stop the leakage ?

Reply to
<ThrowAwayAddress

Hi, Nail holes? Are they exposed? Should be under the shingles. For temporary, I guess you can apply sealant on every suspected nail holes.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

Go up on roof. Slip putty knife under shingles to break the seal. Cover nail heads with roofing cement (caulk gun or can) Dab a little more sealant around where you had to separate the original seal. Of course, don&#39;t bend the shingles back sharply when you pry them up. Being an older roof be extra careful on it.

Keep in mind if the roof is in very poor of a condition, just walking on the shingles can cause additional problems. Not saying it&#39;s gonna happen, just that it could.

Reply to
Al Bundy

: wrote in :news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com: : :> I have an older ashphalt shingle roof :> There is a spot about 2 swuare yards where water is seeping through :> the nail holes. :> :> replacing the whole roof is not yet an option. :> :> What are possible temporary fixes to stop the leakage ? :> :> : : :Go up on roof. Slip putty knife under shingles to break the seal. Cover :nail heads with roofing cement (caulk gun or can) Dab a little more :sealant around where you had to separate the original seal. Of course, :don&#39;t bend the shingles back sharply when you pry them up. Being an older :roof be extra careful on it. : :Keep in mind if the roof is in very poor of a condition, just walking on :the shingles can cause additional problems. Not saying it&#39;s gonna happen, :just that it could.

Do it when conditions are dry, if possible, but also when it&#39;s not too hot. Walking on a hot asphalt shingle roof will damage the shingles far more than when it&#39;s cool!

Reply to
Dan_Musicant

Looks like I&#39;m going the be the cat on the hot roof around Midnight using my halogen work light... Better call the precinct to give them a heads-up. :-(

Thanks for the advice

Reply to
<ThrowAwayAddress

Dan_Musicant wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Yes, when cool. Good point I forgot.

I&#39;ve seen people up on roofs at 20 below zero. Sortta like going over crackers with a tank.

Then there&#39;s the ones who pressure wash their roofs to make them look pretty. Guess they figure then done even more good while shoveling up the pile of all that loose shit that fell off below the eves.

Reply to
Al Bundy