Ashphalt driveway sealer

How often should one get their Asphalt driveway sealed? Mine is two years old and never has had any type of sealer put on it.

TIA.

Reply to
Scall5

Mine is 28 years old and was done once. Fill any cracks, the hell with the rest of it. I don't see any benefit other than it look pretty for a few weeks.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I had mine installed the contractor said not until it "whites out" usually 3 years or more and repeat in the same manner. He said most people do it entirely too often because it looks good for a few weeks.

He also said filling any cracks was far more important because of our freeze/thaw cycles.

Colbyt

Reply to
Colbyt

As often as you wish to make a contribution to the retirement funds of the guys who do it.

Most such sealers just color it black for the most part.

There is not a lot of real advantage to doing much to a residential drive.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

Every few years. Do it this year, and then wait until it starts to look like it needs it again.

The advantages of doing are that it looks better, (worth more to some than others) - fills in small cracks before they become bigger, and some coatings are a big help in protecting from spilled oil and gasoline. I also find that my driveway is easier to sweep, since the surface is more leveled by the coating. Some coatings also include grit that makes the driveway less slippery when wet and icy.

In southern climates, it mostly just looks better. They don't have issues with water getting in small cracks and freezing.

rusty redcloud

Reply to
Red Cloud®

Never.