Asbestos tile in basement

Page 2 of 2

Why not glue the loose tiles down before covering them? No need for extra work with filler.
woods wrote:

If a few of the tiles have come loose, then the rest are about ready to let go. I just finished a job like this. The tiles that weren't yet loose came up mostly whole using only a steel prybar.
Check a few more tiles. You might have only a 15-minute job getting rid of the whole mess.
--
Steve B
New Life Home Improvement

I agree to remove ALL of them. Use a wide 4 or 5" putty knife with a thick blade, not those that flex easily. Those tiles were either "Asphalt Tile" and was glued down with a black tar-like adhesive. Or it was "Vinyl Asbestos" and glued down with a yellow colored adhesive. Since you said they are 9x9 inch, they are likely the Asphalt Tiles and are easier to remove. After tiles are removed, scrape the whole floor with your putty knife to remove lumps and bumps in that old adhesive. Then sweep and vacuum the floor before laying the new flooring.
If after trying to remove several tiles, you find they are not lifting fairly easily, then you may be best to NOT remove them. In which case you glue down the loose ones and use filler as needed. If they show signs of cupping, lifted corners, etc. This WILL show up in the new flooring, so removal is almost required. Note, a heat gun often helps to remove stubborn ones. One other thing, if they have been waxed with a floor wax, you MUST remove the wax with a special wax remover available at a flooring store. Using this chemical can be a pain in the ass job and the odor is nasty, and the stuff is costly This alone makes removal of the old tiles more suitable.
As far as the health risks of the asbestos, there are none unless you start sanding or grinding them. The asbestos is encased in the tiles themselvesm it's not a powder, and is harmless if it's not breathable dust. Skin contact is not harmful. Even if they break, they are not turning to dust. Using a heat gun (if needed) should make them come up in one piece.
I've done many of these floors, most were not too bad to remove.
Flooring stores also sell special heavy duty scrapers. Costly but worth the money if it's a large floor.

The above is exactly how one gets exposed to asbestos. Do not disturb them. Just cover them. That's the safe best way to handle them.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:31:37 -0500, "Stormin Mormon"

You're an expert on this? .....So according to your logic a house with asbestos shingles or tiles can't be sold?
Leaving asbestos in place is commonly done by experts in the field.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:06:58 -0500, snipped-for-privacy@mucks.net wrote:

But they MUST be removed or they will continue to kill whoever lives in that house. In fact 100% of everyone exposed to asbestos will die, sooner or later. So, you really should be experiencing a severe panic because your life has been threatened just from living in a house with asbestos.
You seem extremely phobic about this, and rightfully so. No one should spend their lives living in fear. However I can help. Right after reading this message, I formed an asbestos abatement company. I will remove your tiles at the very reasonable cost of $50 per square foot of tiled floor, plus the cost of materials and plane fare and/or other transportation to and from the job.
Just think how much better you'll sleep at night knowing these tiles are gone, and no longer poisoning your home. But dont delay, every minute of your time spent in that house is one minute closer to your death. You need to act immediately or all your worst fears about asbestos will come true, and that will occur soon. ACT NOW.
I dont give out the phone number online, but you can reach my company by email.
Franks Asbestos Abatement Service snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com Email open 24 hours a day.
Since you'll be my first customer, I'd like to offer you a $10 discount on the job. Simply copy and paste this message to your email, and you'll get this discount. However, you MUST act within the next 24 hours to receive this discount.
Frank
President of: Franks Asbestos Abatement Service
?

Don't listen to Frank, he'd taking advantage of a crisis. I, on the other hand, can help you get rid of that phobia and live in harmony with the tiles. In only a few months time, I'll coach you to live life to the fullest and have no fears. Don't fall for some abatement company scam when for a low weekly payment of $59,99, you can have true peace in your life.
On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:13:44 -0600, snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

He got his email wrong though, its snipped-for-privacy@faabatement.com