Asbestos removal

My basement has very old asbestos ceiling tiles. Other than calling in a company to remove them what other options do I have? Removal won't be a problem as I can air the basement out fairly well. I have removed several tiles so far for various reasons and the just pop out in one piece because the nails are barely holding them in. My intent is to wear a mask, soak them with a sprayed on solution of Palmalive and water (per the advice of our duct cleaner) and pop them off. This is where I get stumped. Should there be any particles can I use a common shop vac to clean it up and where can I dispose of the tiles? I just have a hard time paying nearly $800 to have these things removed when I can do it on a Saturday afternoon myself.

-- Jim Tiberio

1st American Mortgage 2083 Main Street Stratford, CT 06615 203-386-1111 ext. 36 877-414-3444
Reply to
Jim Tiberio

call up the EPA (environmental Protection Agency) in your state and ask them what is the fine for not following the rules for removing asbestos material from your home... the fine might be higher than the cost of getting it done correctly.... and you dont have to do it........ a lawyer was taking up asbestos tile in his office when renovating it... EPA walked in on him and closed the place down and he was arrested and charged(the state EPA agents).

Reply to
jim

Two completely differant situations! Most areas allow home owners to remove asbestos from their homes. Removing it from a bussiness requires a professional abatement company to come in. I would check with you local building inspector. He should be able to tell you what is the proper method for removal in your area. If it was me I would just soak them down, bag them, and put them out with the trash. At least in this area it is legal to do so. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

I didn't know it was illegal to remove it yourself. I just thought dumping it was illegal. That is why I asked where I could dump it.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

That is what I keep hearing. In my town we have a free dump and they don't check your vehicle. It didn't sound right though. I guess I'll call and see. thanks guys.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

that. Call them and get the facts. They should be able to tell you if homeowner asbestos removal is allowed, and may even be able to suggest legal places for disposal. Dave

Reply to
DaveG

Well I didn't get in touch with the proper department in my town but I did talk to someone even higher up the chain and they said to do what you told me in limited amounts each week.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

LOL!! Sounds like me and my on going basement remodel. Tore out walls, sheetrock, studs, tons of debris. All went out into a pile along the house. Every garbage can that went out had a bunch of it. Never took a bit of it to the dump, just pecked away at it! Greg

Reply to
Greg O