Asbestos Containment

I'm in the process of replacing my mother in law's stove and when I removed the old stove, I think I have found a panel of asbestos being used to shield the heat from the wall next to the stove. It's intact and is covered by the stove. Is there any thing I can spray over the panel to contain any asbestos that it may contain? I have a HVLP sprayer and can spray most any kind of liquid. Is there a product that is heat resistant that I can incapsolate the panel with?

Thanks, Bernie

Reply to
Bernie Hunt

"Bernie Hunt" in news:VYIbd.9710$ snipped-for-privacy@news4.srv.hcvlny.cv.net:

if behind the stove, it's probably sticky with 70 years of old grease fumes... :-)

hasn't the panel been painted a few times yet?

maybe chimney-insert sellers can suggest patch or sealers?

Reply to
Choise76Smu

If you are talking about a typical home style kitchen stove, no heat shield is necesary. The wall can be painted with latex paint so if that is good enough for any home, it will be good enough over the panel, should you desire leaving it in place. Or cover it with a thin piece of sheet metal.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The transite sheet; unless it has been rubbed, drilled, sanded, sawn. etc; would not be in a friable condition. At this time it is not a controlled material here. When I say controlled, it does not have to go to a registered landfill and does not have to be dealt with by licensed contractors, at least not here.

There is no reason to encapsulate it. Was it screwed or nailed? Why ;not just remove it if it worries you?

DanG

If its a hard/rigid board, like an asbestos shingle, and it doesn't flake, puff, or shed dust when you poke it with your finger, then you don't need to encapsulate it with anything. If you just want to pamper your own phobias, take the thing out entirely, bury it in the back yard in the dark of the moon, and replace it with sheetmetal.

--Goedjn

Reply to
default

Reply to