Asbestos

Late 60's or early 70's. At first is was just asbestos workers in the processing plants than really came to light with a high incidence of lung diseases. Now you just mention the word and people cringe. Under the proper circumstances it is harmless in use. Processing, cutting and otherwise making dust are the problem areas. It is the fine dust that you inhale that causes the problems, not contact with the skin. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

When I was very young, I remember my teacher telling us about all the wonderful attributes of asbestos. This was in the early 60s. At what point did health officials become aware of the health risks of asbestos? Thanks

Ken

Reply to
K Wind

yes i remember the same thing in the 1950's and early 60's they thought it was a wonder type thing.. like you could handle the heat and the asbestoes would insulat it.. i remember it on all kinds of things.. like the steam pipes at school so the kids did not get burned on the hot pipes... i guess we just got the stuff in our lungs and never knew it as it seemed safe at the time.. i think it was in the early 70's and a little later you could not find it on cars... thats why they had all the bad engines with head gaskets leaking.. they cold not take the heat(no asbestoes in them).... and no brake shoes with asbestoes......

Reply to
jim

In the early 1970s, the US began to regulate asbestos use, but the problems were known much earlier by asbestos manufacturers who kept the information secret from workers and the public. Bless their little hearts.

thunder

In Junior High, in the 50's, we were given the powder that you mixed with water to create a compound, that could be moulded onto boilers and steampipes, for moulding art projects.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Never mind asbestos - I recall playing with mercury in grade school - we would roll it in our hands, drop it on the floor to see all the tiny spheres form - then push them together to make a large ball again.

........and rubbing it on new pennies to give them that silver look.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

Ken,

I think it has always been known the blue asbestos is deadly dangerous, much more dangerous than the white asbestos. And it has always been the dust that is most dangerous. It is harmless in the solid.

Still, I know plenty of guys who worked in the building trade who cut asbestos with a saw for years on end and died of something else. Ditto car mechanics blowing out brake drums with compressed air.

I knew asbestos was dangerous in the 60's.

Ross

Reply to
RMD

Wait 10, 20 ,50 yrs. You will be the ASS that experimented, and HD now wont warranty your PUSS,,,,, Wake UP It lasts thousands of years done right ,, Bozo, YOU a BOZO , BOZO

Reply to
mark Ransley