Artificial grass for home use?

Page 1 of 2
Has anyone had a good experience putting in artificial grass in a home setting?
I am mainly thinking about the back yard. It's a fairly shallow yard surrounded by tall trees and a two-story house. It doesn't get enough sun for a really healthy lawn. This is especially true on the side of the house, which is a narrow strip that gets close to zero sun.
I would like to investigate putting in artificial lawn. Myabe I would do the side of the house first and see how that goes. If we like that, we could do the entire back lawn.
We live in the San Francisco bay area. The climate is mild. We have no pets and the kids are grown, so it won't get a lot of use. Mostly the occasional garden party.
Here are some links. Any experience with any of these?
http://www.foreverlawninc.com / http://www.synlawn.com/synlawnhome1.html http://www.sprinturf.com /
Thanks
--
For email, use snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com

Will the dogs pee on it?
Get some artifical trees, birds, squirrels and plants to go along with it. It will be soo nice.
LurfysMa wrote:

Interesting idea, but I would worry about mold and moss if it is not in the sun. Do you get any moss issues there in the shady spots?
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
LurfysMa wrote:

Some communities have ordinances against it.
Is $10,000 for a 1000 foot lawn in your budget?

Which communities are those?

It might be.
--
For email, use snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com

Naples Florida for one. They made a guy rip out his Astroturf lawn and put in real grass that requires watering and fertilizer ... at the same time when they are telling us fertilizer is killing the Gulf and we are running out of water.

Only in San Fransissy would someone even think of doing that ;-)
Rick
On Wed, 1 Mar 2006 17:10:54 -0500, "Richard Blaine"

And what enlightened city do you live in, Rickie?

--
For email, use snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com

My daughter put it at their house. It is a smallish area, probably 750 sf. They love it. I was skeptical, but it has weathered very well for being two years old. This is in Las Vegas where the sun is brutal. No fading. Yet. They did have two pug dogs for over a year, and their presence did not affect the grass.
My SIL is the type who researches everything to death. In the process of selecting a contractor, he learned that there are different grades, different warranties, different substrates, different thicknesses of substrates, etc. Not just a piece of AstroTurf you can slam down anywhere.
Somewhat spendy, or I would consider it for the 1,000 sf of friggin Bermuda we have to dig out and poison out over the next few months until September 1. We may change our minds before Sept. 1, and just go with the lawn you vacuum.
Ask your local contractors for satisfied customers you can contact. If they don't have any, or won't provide any, that should tell you something about that particular contractor. Don't buy from anything but a contractor. You will pay more, but you will not be searching for them if something goes wrong down the road. Shop around. Educate yourself on the different grades and substrates. You will be spending a considerable chunk of ca$h, so research it.
Steve Steve

Do you happen to know the brand of turn they ended up buying and the approximate cost/sq ft?
--
For email, use snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com

I will ask and post it. Surprising that one of the know-it-alls hasn't posted that information yet. ;-)
Steve

My yard is next to a schoolyard cum public park. The public park grass has overwhelmed my Kentucky grass sodded lawn more than a decade ago. I love it for its hardiness and low maintenance. I don't water my lawn and had only applied fertilizer maybe four times over 25 years. In a dry spell it may look scrawny and brown. But it is never bare dirt and the moment it rains the grass rebounds overnight and I have to mow within a week. The recommendation then is to find out the grass the local park uses and seed you lawn with that.

That is a good suggestion -- especially if I find a grass that is doing well in a heavily shaded area. Thanks.
--
For email, use snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com

How long could you run grow-lamps for the price of the artificial turf? What else would grow there if you weren't bent on grass?

Probably quite a long time, but the maintenance would be at least inconvenient and I doubt the wife would want it.

There are lots of options, of course: ground cover, ground cover around stepping stones, wood chips or bark, gravel, concrete, ...
All of those have been considered, but we would really prefer grass (or a grass substitute) because we do walk through there occasionally.
--
For email, use snipped-for-privacy@spamex.com

You can also check with local landscapers or nurseries to see what they may recommend. There are certainly blends of grass recommended for shady locations. If you can't find one that you like, there are a lot of non-grass alternatives that you may find aesthetically pleasing. Are you set on having a lawn, or are you open to other sorts of ground cover?
I confess a prejudice against synthetic grass without a lot of research or knowledge of the current products. If/when I go back to Vegas I'll check out the installation at Wynn. If a product can look good and weather well in that environment, I'd have to reconsider my opinion.
mark
How about a moss lawn? I heard it's the next big thing.
On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 03:04:38 GMT, "New & Improved - N/F John"
It's cool to walk on with bare feet. Water squishes up between your toes.

I looked into artifical turff for some selected areas, with 4 dogs they are creatures of habit and have a road system of muddy paths. its unreal expensive:( unfortunately they drag the mud indoors in wet winter weather:("(
In the spring I will probably go with sakrette pavers for the road system.
its wierd even visiting dogs follow the exact same path, including some zigs for no apparent reason.