Armstrong vinyl floor discoloration

I have Armstrong sheet vinyl flooring (creamy off-white) in two bathrooms. The flooring was installed as new construction about two and a half years ago. I had heard of problems with vinyl flooring getting discolored, so I've cautiously avoided using rubber-soled mats, solvent-based cleaners, etc. And these bathrooms do not get direct sunlight. However, the vinyl has developed a pink discoloration in two locations . (I've heard of vinyl yellowing, but not turning pink!) The pink discoloration appears to be in the vinyl, not a stain on the surface. Cleaning with Armstrong brand floor cleaner has no effect and I'm not eager to try something stronger for fear of damaging the vinyl. The stained areas don't seem to correlate with high traffic or any other obvious factor. Any advice?

Reply to
zmike6

Get a store rep out you have a warranty. Pink can be mold, a rep will help the best.

Reply to
m Ransley

Go right to the source. Call Armstrong Customer Service. They will be most knowledgeable about discoloration problems and may even have some practical remedies short of doing it over. Asking a store clerk for a solution to a problem like this could get you in even deeper. Good luck.

Joe.

Reply to
Joe Bobst

Call Armstrong. I for one will never do vinyl again Removed some from a kitchen and couldn't believe the vinyl smell underneath it even though it was installed 8 years in a sunroom. The previous owners must have been breathing that stuff all those years.

Reply to
Art

I'll never do vinyl again, especially Armstrong. In one house the brick pattern wore off in 2 years. Armstrong was no assistance. I used sheet linoleum in this house and managed to drop a knife and slit it. It also collected dirt. I have replaced it with ceramic tile.

Reply to
William W. Plummer

Here's another vinyl tile question for the experts. A friend of mine just had Armstrong tile installed in his vacation home kitchen. The tile looks kind of like slate and is one of the low luster tiles.

Well, we had to move the refrigerator back in. The installer suggested covering it with cardboard, which we did. Then we rolled the frig over the cardboard. Well, I think we would have been a lot better without the damn carboard, because it partially prevented the wheels from rolling and instead the cardboard slid along for about 4 feet. It left the new tile with a shiney look to it where the wheels were pressing down on the cardboars as it slid and the streaks are very visible when light glare is on it.

I was very surprised to see this happen, as vinyl tile is usually very tough. We tried using Mr Clean on it, with no effect. The only thing that appears to help is lightly rubbing it with steel wool, which we tried in one small spot. It greatly lessened the noticeability of the streaks. What's remarkable, is I tried just rubbing the surface of an untouched tile with my finger nail and with just light pressure, I could leave the same type of visible mark on it.

Any ideas what's going on? My first thought was that there might be some kind of coating on all the tile, which rubbing it removes. The rubbed spots actually look like they have a moderate shine, the rest appears to have no shine. But if that's the case, simple soap or Mr Clean won't remove it.

My buddy was going to call Armstrong, but I thought someone here may have some experience too.

Thanks

Reply to
Chet Hayes

I can share a different perspective on Armstrong.

3 ears ago we put in a floor which covers the kitchen, hallway & bathroom.

Thing is incredible. No discoloration or wear marks. Still looks like brand new today. Not sure what grade you got, but we went for the high end and unless something freaky happens, it'll be here when we move in 4-5 years.

Reply to
Davma