Ariens Snowblower Axle Wont Turn

Just got a new Ariens 920006 Compact 24 snowblower. It blows snow great, but there seems to be some problem with the wheel drive. When the traction clutch is released, the axle can spin freely. But when the traction clutch is depressed, the axle does not spin. In fact when the traction clutch is depressed, the axle becomes locked.
This is a brand new machine. The set up instructions in the manual did not address any task related to the wheel drive. Is there some unlock that needs to be done.
I have both wheels locked to the axle. But the problem is the axle does not spin.
Any suggestions would be welcome. -------------------------------------
On Dec 20, 10:33�pm, BW02916_at_hotmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (BW02916) wrote:

I'd try to shift into another gear, also try reverse. Maybe moving the shifter between gears to see if that helps. Sometimes the slots in the metal bracket that the shifter go into are adjustable and need adjusting to make sure you don't get stuck between gears. (really in 2 gears at same time). I am assuming it is a Peerless transaxle as most are.
If that fails, take it back and exchange it since it is brand new it is under waranty.
Hank
BW02916 wrote:

take it back if it doesn't do what it's supposed to.
BW02916 wrote:

Did you put the shear pins into the drive shaft into the driven shaft? Or did you break them already.

Don;t know for sure about yours or any others, but my Sears only has shear pins on the auger, not on the wheel drive. I suspect it unlikely there is a shear pin on the wheel drive because if it gets stuck, the wheels just spin. If you put it in any drive speed and the wheels don't turn, I say it's defective.
To the OP, since it's brand new, why aren't you calling Ariens or just take it back where you bought it?
On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 04:59:17 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Is it an Ariens pro? If so it has a diff.
Most of the Ariens units just use a friction drive (disc) and they are technically VARIABLE speed, not multispeed, so impossible to get stuck "between gears" - and no shear pins in the wheel drive. I've seen the pribary chain come off on them though - loosen the bolts on the drive access pan, drop the pan and check. I got my (not ariens) blower real cheap because the master link fell out of the drive chain and the original owner bought a new (ariens) blower.

My old Yardman snowblower has shear pins on the drive wheel shaft itself even though it's variable speed driven by a tire wheel on a flat disc which should slip if over powered.

Sounds like it's working as designed. When depressing the "traction clutch", the wheels are locked to the engine output so if the engine is on, the snowblower travels. To stop traveling, release the handle.

Yesa, that's how my brush hog works. You pull in the handle and the wheels are engaged with the engine. If the engine is not running then they are locked.

I just re-read - and yes, you ARE RIGHT. It IS WORKING AS DESIGNED.
On Dec 20, 9:33pm, BW02916_at_hotmail_dot snipped-for-privacy@foo.com (BW02916) wrote:

Sounds like the belt for the drive is off or not tight enough. Hence it locks...but doesn't turn.
bob_v
BW02916 wrote the following:

It sounds like that 'clutch' is actually the 'kill' safety device. If you fall down and your hand comes off the clutch, the snowblower won't run away by itself and hit something, or worse yet, someone.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY