Ariens Snowblower Auger Jams

My old dual-stage Ariens snowblower is giving me trouble just when I need it. The engine runs fine but when I engage the auger clutch, it either stalls or the auger turns very slowly.

I have replaced the oil in the gearbox between the drive shaft and the auger shaft, so I am sure it is not freezing in the gearcase. What else might be causing it to seize up when the auger is engaged? Thanks,

Ian

Reply to
crap

Clutch slipping?

Bad bearings somewhere?

Bent shaft or other damage from having hit something last time operated?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Check the belt drive, possibly the clutch idler is not engaging properly, or the belt is stretched oversize and slipping.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

See if there is a zerk grease fitting underneath on the drivetrain.

Reply to
DN B

Pray inform us just how a loose belt is gonna stall the engine?

Read well before replying...

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I'd shut the engine down, pull the sparkplug wire and disengage the belt tightening "clutch". Then see if you can rotate the large belt pulley by hand to help locate the binding.

If your Airen's is as old as mine, (Mine is circa '65) removing just two bolts will let you easily tip the auger/blower part away from rest of the machine, disengaging a forked coupling between them. That will let you tell whether the binding is in the auger/blower section or back in the wheel driving "transmission".

I once had a piece of thin rope get dragged in and wound up behind the blower imnpeller. It got wedged in so tightly that it created an effect like what you describe.

Good luck and let us know what you find,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

You are right, I missed the "stall the engine" and saw the "slowed down" part. Although, I have had a loose belt that jumped one of the pulleys and jammed itself between the pulley and part of the frame so that it stalled the engine. One has to examine the whole drivetrain to locate the binding part. One snowblower I used to own had a very "crude" and missaligned pulley/belt drivetrain that was very difficult to keep belts on and operating once it had a little wear on it.

Reply to
Eric Tonks

I have a 2 stage Ariens and after using it on Sunday for about 40 minutes it just shut down oin me and When I try to restart it it will only run for about 35 seconds and then shuts down and smoke comes out of the Carburator. Can anyone tell me what seems to be the problem? I can't seem to find anyone that wants to repair it or at leasdt be open past 5:00 PM for me to drop it off. DJS

Reply to
djs0007