Ariens Snow Blower Belt

I have an old Ariens snowblower, Model # 92208 (5HP 20"). The belt that drives the blower has broken.

Does anyone know what the spec on this belt is (so I can buy one at the local auto parts supplier). More importantly, any advice on how to install teh new belt?

We're knee deep in the white stuff here in Toronto.

Thanks,

Ian

If responding by email, please email to snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca

Reply to
Ian

Just take the old one in w/ you and they'll match it...

Specifically to replace it, no, but there's got to be a fairly straightforward way to get it around the drive pulleys. Check for manuals on the Ariens site would be a start if somebody else here doesn't have a specific...

How high are your knees? :)

From 4" to a 12-14" around here, depending as one goes north and east a ways...

We, of course, have been so dry since July that the inch of rain/ice and then the snow is well worth the other hassles associated. The city folks tend not to see that side of it, however... :)

--

Reply to
dpb

model number not coming up at:

buffalobill

Reply to
Bob T

I'm in Rochester, and one of the TV news channels ran an amazing story last night. They interviewed a dealer who sells snow blowers and asked him if he was selling a lot, and what people were looking for. Sit down - you'll be shocked at what he said. Ready?

He said "Yes, we're selling quite a few. People basically want something that'll move the snow." I never would've suspected.

Then, he said something that might help you: "We'll probably be open Sunday because we couldn't get enough machines prepped & ready today."

You might call around to some specialty dealers. They might be open today, even if that's not normal for them. You may be able to skip the guesswork at the auto parts store, and get exactly the part you need.

Reply to
JoeSpareBedroom

Or, put a rope around the pulleys. Cut it to the right length and measure it. Then measure the width of the top of the pulley. (The groove.) They can come up with the size from that.

Al

Reply to
Big Al

Much easier to simply take the old one... :)

Plus, it probably has the markings still on it...

--

Reply to
dpb

If you mean 922008 then it takes a 1/2 X 32 belt.

There are four bolts holding the blower section to the engine section. Loosen up the bottom two and remove the top two bolts and pivot the two halves apart to gain access to the belt. MikeB

Reply to
bq340

I broke a sheer pin today. I couldn't pound it out $*#)$*)#_#@*(&& so I drilled it a bit to get it started so I could pound it out and that didn't work #(#&$@@&*#@. So I had to drill it out, in the driveway, in the snow #@$@#*^^)*#$.

You see, the think is, my snowblower NEVER breaks in good weather when it would be convienent to fix it. It's funny like that.

Reply to
Pat

Right on, I think. I ran my model 10ML60D Ariens for over an hour today here in Red Sox Nation. According to Ariens, it was manufactured in the

1984-65 season, so it's over 40 years old now. Built like a brick defecatorium, nothing besides a few auger shear bolts has ever broken on it, and it's still running on its original engine.

Too bad they don't build stuff that well anymore, eh?

When you buy that new belt, do yourself a favor and buy a spare one too.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

Your blower is still a youngster. I have a 5 HP Areins that I bought in Nov

1977 (making it 30 yrs old) just a couple of months before the blizzard of "78. In that time, I've replaced one shear bolt (swallowed a newspaper), two belts and had to fixed the starter pull rope that broke. It's been working real hard this past week. MLD
Reply to
MLD

I'm not trying to one up you, but when I wrote "1984-65 season" I meant to write "1964-65 season", which is why my machine is probably about 42 years old.

But, the Ariens web site still has the diagrams and parts lists for it.

Your response did remind me that I too have replaced the starter pull rope once. And I had to weld some 3/8 " thick steel onto the front skids when they were nearly worn through about 15 years ago.

My Ariens has a 120 volt AC starter which I usually use for initial startup in my garage, where I keep an extension cord plugged into an outlet near where the blower sleeps. The electric starter seems to get it going easier than the half dozen or more rope pulls it needs when it's cold. When the engine is hot it will start with a single pull. That may have something to do with the fact that when I'm done snowblowing I religiously close the fuel shutoff valve and let the engine run until it uses up the fuel in the carb and dies.

I call my Ariens "The Widow Maker" because it has no front side shields and zippo safety features. If you lose hold of it while it's in gear it'll plow ahead by itself until it hits something big enough to stop it.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia

I remember those. Those were the days. Or in your case these are the days I guess. Might as well keep using it until it dies ... or a limb gets lost.

Reply to
poison_1024