Are you satisfied with your electric service?

I got a call today that showed up as "Private Caller" on my caller ID. He claimed he was from the County Electric Membership Corporation. I don't know if the call was ligit or not, but the guy asked if I was satisfied with my current service. That seems odd since it is the only choice I have. Anyway, I don't give much time to calls I don't initiate myself. When he asked if I was happy with my service, I asked...what choice to I have? You can lower my bill if you like. He ended the call.

Reply to
Metspitzer

could have been selling solar installations

Reply to
chaniarts

I've been getting letters from a company that supplies electricity. Claims that I can save up to 14% compared to what my (only) local company charges here in central New Jersey.

Nothing about solar, wind or anything exotic. Maybe they are just operating in a low-tax state and passing those savings on to us potential companies. Requires an 18-month contract.

Your call may have been legit. If so, the caller should have been eager to answer your questions.

Ray

Reply to
Rebel1

They are not in business to sell less and lower their profit.

Reply to
LSMFT

You may have a choice. Some states allows you to select your electric supplier. The present utility company remains as the delivery service, but you can change generators. I'm saving around 2¢ a kW by changing and I use 600 to 800 kW/hr a month. Costs you nothing to change, so shy not save a few bucks a month if available?

Perhaps you state has choice or they want to bring it in, thus a survey. Or it may be a scam.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

This is exactly the situation where I am- downstate NY. I recently switched to an all-renewable (25% wind, 75% small hydro) run by a legit operator (probably gets some subsidies) at .01/kwh saving from my current supplier (probably mostly coal based). But there are scammers in the business also. A year ago one tried to persuade my wife to switch us over- but when I checked them out I saw large volume of complaints.

Reply to
Sev

You sure? Most areas have a choice-- though the old carrier will still supply the poles & drop- but you can pay someone else for the actual power. I doubt it saves much- but it might in some areas.

OTOH- maybe the company got a bum list of who could use them. I keep getting solicited to change my Nat. Gas supplier-- which would be fine if I could get NG for less than 3times the cost of my house.

I don't even answer them if I don't recognize the caller. They can leave a message if it is important & I'll call *them* when I feel like it.

Time Warner stopped by [yup- a guy in a suit with a clip-board knocked on my door] a couple years ago and told me what I was paying Verizon for my phone. They offered me better service at 1/2 the cost for the first 6 months-- then it would go up to about 80% of what I was paying Verizon.

The first bill I got was even lower than the guy had said it would be-- and it still hasn't gone up. I've often wondered how they could know what Verizon was charging-- but could accurately predict what they would charge me..

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

And you posted this because...?