Are Vizio's any good ?

I like my 46" Vizio as much, maybe more than my 46" high end sony bravia (not the mid-line bravia). It certainly has more features, some of which I actually use. :-) Picture quality after tweaking is right up there with the Bravia to my eyes. Of course, the bravia is a couple of years older. As others have stated, the visios are weak in the sound section, but no issue if you're using external audio gear, or like me, using it in exercise room, not as part of home theatre.
Looked at samsung when I was shopping. Nice sets, highly rated, but have a glossier screen than either the vizio or the bravia, and I don't care for the resulting reflections and glare. Not as bad as most plasma's, but bad enough for me to avoid samsung.
I wouldn't hesitate to buy Vizio again.
My $.02
Paul F.

All flat panels have shitty speakers/sound......IMO
Supposedly LG has the "best" speakers. Kinda hard to get quality sound in the limited space.

That is why I use a separate receiver and surround sound system. Especially nice for movies with special effects.
On 8/19/2010 6:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

...or for last night's PBS "Live From Lincoln Center" broadcast of "South Pacific", or any other program where the audio is a major aspect of enjoying what you are watching.
On 8/19/2010 6:05 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Ditto. When I bought my 46" Samsung LED TV back in February, the first thing I did was go out a very few days later and purchase an AV receiver, some nice speakers, and a subwoofer. It makes all the difference in the world.
I had a similar setup back when I was using a 36" Magnavox CRT TV because the speakers started buzzing on that TV several years ago. The addition of the home theater sound system allowed me to continue using the TV for many more years. I gave both the TV and the sound setup to my girlfriend when I moved to where I'm now living.
The audio is definitely the flat screen's weakest feature.
Jay

I have thousands invested my stereo eqt, but that is beside the point. It would be nice if these manufacturers would put just a little effort into the sound/speakers on these flat panels so it doesn't sound like the audio is coming from 2 tin cans and a string.

I have mixed feelings. No one wants crappy sound and smaller (say, 32" or less) models for bedrooms and the like, sound should be decent. When you get to the really big screens, many are using surround sound systems and home theater setups so I don't care if they even have a speaker in the TV. I'd rather the money be spent elsewhere.

Yeah, but those "speakers" only cost them about 50 cents each. The speakers in my TV look to be about 5"x2". El cheapo.
At least my 45" MItsubishi RPTV had some pretty good 5 1/4" speakers that sounded pretty damn good, especially since they were in enclosures.
The 40" Mitsubishi that I owned before that had 2 6x9s! Best audio I've ever heard from a TV.
A friend of mine just bought a 50" LG Plasma yesterday. I'm gonna head over to his house today and see what his audio sounds like since LG's are supposed to have the best audio.

All flat panels have shitty speakers/sound......IMO
<snip>
I don't think the sound quality is bad in my Panasonic Viera but I do have trouble with the treble. I can't hear high voices very well and I have the treble maxed. For eveything else it's fine. I gave up on surround sound. Too many wires.
Jim

Saw this today http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/415/best-tvs-under-1000
On 8/20/2010 4:55 PM, JimT wrote:

Have you considered a compromise? Just because your AV receiver is a 6.1 or a 7.1 doesn't mean you have to hook up the rear speakers for decent sound. A good center channel speaker, a subwoofer and a pair of crappy speakers for the right and the left front will give you plenty of volume, good stereo imaging, and bass you can feel for those thunderous moments in a movie.
I had complete surround in my last place but I did what I suggested above when I moved to where I am now. I'm more than satisfied with the results, which is more than I could say when I was listening through the TV's built-ins.
Jay

You mean 5:1? Anyway, for someone that doesn't want to deal with wires one of these can make a huge difference........
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Vizio-High-Definition-Sound-Bar/11046520

I also have a Viera. I think you said you've had it for 3 yrs? If you haven't done it already, under audio>advanced audio, set the volume leveler to +7 or its highest position on your TV. Makes a big difference. I have my bass and treble set to +2.

I also have a Viera. I think you said you've had it for 3 yrs? If you haven't done it already, under audio>advanced audio, set the volume leveler to +7 or its highest position on your TV. Makes a big difference. I have my bass and treble set to +2.
== I'll check. I like easy fixes. :) Mines a monitor and I'm not sure if there is a advanced audio but there maybe something in the satellite box.
Thanks
desgnr wrote:

Would you guy a Yugo?
--
LSMFT

I look outside this morning and everything was in 3D!
LSMFT wrote:

Dead wrong! Do some research. They are good stuff.