Are Vizio's any good ?

here a reason for doing

Brightness without contrast is useless.

Reply to
keith

"keith" wrote

Not always true. Plasma has the best picture in most cases, but it also has the possibility of getting the most glare from outside lighting sources. The glossy glass can be tough to see with reflections.

If you watch TV during the day in a room with windows, or in a place where you cannot control the lights. LED or LCD can be a better choice.

To help find the right size and type, take a look at

Ed Pawlowski

"JimT" wrote

Prices can vary quite a bit. Looking at 42" here, a popular size. a plasma lists for $650, but an LED lists for $1800.

A 47" can vary from $999 to $2900. Toss in a 3D and you can be over $4300.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

"keith" wrote

All true, all false. So many brands and models, you can find exceptions to each of the statements. Add in personal preference too. The technology is improving and the quality of picture is much better than a few years ago.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have thousands invested my stereo eqt, but that is beside the point. It would be nice if these manufacturers would put just a little effort into the sound/speakers on these flat panels so it doesn't sound like the audio is coming from 2 tin cans and a string.

Reply to
Ron

All flat panels have shitty speakers/sound......IMO

I don't think the sound quality is bad in my Panasonic Viera but I do have trouble with the treble. I can't hear high voices very well and I have the treble maxed. For eveything else it's fine. I gave up on surround sound. Too many wires.

Jim

Reply to
JimT

"Ron" wrote

I have mixed feelings. No one wants crappy sound and smaller (say, 32" or less) models for bedrooms and the like, sound should be decent. When you get to the really big screens, many are using surround sound systems and home theater setups so I don't care if they even have a speaker in the TV. I'd rather the money be spent elsewhere.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Saw this today

Ed Pawlowski

Have you considered a compromise? Just because your AV receiver is a

6.1 or a 7.1 doesn't mean you have to hook up the rear speakers for decent sound. A good center channel speaker, a subwoofer and a pair of crappy speakers for the right and the left front will give you plenty of volume, good stereo imaging, and bass you can feel for those thunderous moments in a movie.

I had complete surround in my last place but I did what I suggested above when I moved to where I am now. I'm more than satisfied with the results, which is more than I could say when I was listening through the TV's built-ins.

Jay

Reply to
Jay Hanig

You mean 5:1? Anyway, for someone that doesn't want to deal with wires one of these can make a huge difference........

Ron

I also have a Viera. I think you said you've had it for 3 yrs? If you haven't done it already, under audio>advanced audio, set the volume leveler to +7 or its highest position on your TV. Makes a big difference. I have my bass and treble set to +2.

Reply to
Ron

Yeah, but those "speakers" only cost them about 50 cents each. The speakers in my TV look to be about 5"x2". El cheapo.

At least my 45" MItsubishi RPTV had some pretty good 5 1/4" speakers that sounded pretty damn good, especially since they were in enclosures.

The 40" Mitsubishi that I owned before that had 2 6x9s! Best audio I've ever heard from a TV.

A friend of mine just bought a 50" LG Plasma yesterday. I'm gonna head over to his house today and see what his audio sounds like since LG's are supposed to have the best audio.

Reply to
Ron

I also have a Viera. I think you said you've had it for 3 yrs? If you haven't done it already, under audio>advanced audio, set the volume leveler to +7 or its highest position on your TV. Makes a big difference. I have my bass and treble set to +2.

===

I'll check. I like easy fixes. :) Mines a monitor and I'm not sure if there is a advanced audio but there maybe something in the satellite box.

Thanks

Reply to
JimT

Reply to
ransley

What ive seen Plasma use near 2.5-3 times the power of the new Led Lcd tvs, maybe they are better now as I tested them over 1 yr ago

Reply to
ransley

For what's worth.

Also see "Next: The chart: HDTV power consumption compared" at the bottom of the article.

Reply to
Ron