Are Vizio's any good ?

Page 1 of 3

Would you buy a Vizio LCD TV ?
--
Dell Inspiron
Pentium dual-core 2.2 GHz
--- You should do a consumer reports check on LED/LCD TVs
For some reason their ratings also include the size. On 52-55 inch they rated Vizio VF550M a CR best buy (but not that high: #10 overall) (Mar 2010). After that Vizio falls off the charts. The model numbers change on those sets so often it's hard to keep up with. You might try subscribing to CR online. They may have more current information.
My answer is, maybe. Panasonic and Samsung are rated higher over all, but they may have more models out too. We bought a Panasonic Viera Plasma 6 years ago on CR recommendation and it still works like new. I'm looking forward to replacing it someday with a LCD.
Jim
JimT wrote:

    You would replace your Plasma with a LCD? Is there a reason for doing so? I do not own either right now, but I would be interested in the views of those who do.

The only advantage of an LCD is power consumption (and the associated heating). The picture of the plasma is worth it, IMO.
---

The only advantage of an LCD is power consumption (and the associated heating). The picture of the plasma is worth it, IMO.
== I can't tell that much difference but my wife says she can. When I look at them side-by-side at Costco they all look good. Before I buy I'll try to look closely. I've noticed now that Costco carries a lot more LED/LCD than they used to. FWIW: Costco sells Vizio too.
If I was single I might not even have a TV, or the I'd have the cheapest TV I could find. I don't need to be encouraged to watch more TV and I know I wouldn't have pay TV at all. The TV is my wife's idea. We have to be better than the Joneses. <g>
Jim

Another big advantage is no reflection. If you're going to be using it in a room with lighting or daylight, that can be a key factor. Take a look at plasmas and LCDs on display in a store. With the plasma, you can see the reflection from overhead lighting.
On Aug 19, 10:08am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

--

---

I think that's part of the higher contrast of plasma over LCD, but yes, that's something I'd forgotten.
== I'd think it would have more to do with the protective cover on the screen. (If there is one)

t ---

Plasma's have a glass screen. LCD's have a plastic screen.

Not always true. Plasma has the best picture in most cases, but it also has the possibility of getting the most glare from outside lighting sources. The glossy glass can be tough to see with reflections.
If you watch TV during the day in a room with windows, or in a place where you cannot control the lights. LED or LCD can be a better choice.
To help find the right size and type, take a look at http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/index.jsp

What ive seen Plasma use near 2.5-3 times the power of the new Led Lcd tvs, maybe they are better now as I tested them over 1 yr ago

Lcds are not equal, a 55" Plasma might consume for example 600 watts, the regular tube Lcd 350 watts. A LED Lcd might only consume 200 watts. Sharp has a new line comming out soon the 55 might only consume 160 watts Leds will cost less to operate, last longer and are said to give a better picture, but the current regular Lcds are very good.
---

Lcds are not equal, a 55" Plasma might consume for example 600 watts, the regular tube Lcd 350 watts. A LED Lcd might only consume 200 watts. Sharp has a new line comming out soon the 55 might only consume 160 watts Leds will cost less to operate, last longer and are said to give a better picture, but the current regular Lcds are very good.
=== I'm really glad to hear someone say that. LCD/LED TVs still cost more on average though.
Jim

Prices can vary quite a bit. Looking at 42" here, a popular size. a plasma lists for $650, but an LED lists for $1800. http://www.lg.com/us/tv-audio-video/televisions/educational-browsing/index.jsp
A 47" can vary from $999 to $2900. Toss in a 3D and you can be over $4300.

More like 300 watts for a plasma and 100 watts for a LCD/ LED....probably a non-factor for most people. .
Last longer? You better do some research on the life span of a plasma TV. You will probably die before a Plasma or LCD/LED will.
Also, a "better" picture is debatable. I prefer the "warmth" of a Plasma's picture.

t ---

My 50" Pani draws 399W...the newer ones draw even less according to reviews I've read. Still a non-factor IMO.

LCD is brighter, but Plasma's are getter brighter, and LCD's are catching up in contrast.

net ---

Brightness without contrast is useless.

All true, all false. So many brands and models, you can find exceptions to each of the statements. Add in personal preference too. The technology is improving and the quality of picture is much better than a few years ago.