Are These Commonly Available?

Channel nuts (not fishing or TV surfing related)

Thanks, bob (I do not live in the UK)

Reply to
Bob Villa

I believe lowes has regular channel nuts but these look like they may be a special size and I have not seen them at lowes with a spring on the back.

Reply to
jamesgangnc

Yup-

Several styles & sizes. These folks are great- I'm a long-time satisfied customer.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

Probably. Fastenal is one U.S. source. Electricians in my area use them when mounting panels. Some on Ebay. Some trade names are Unistrut, Superstrut, and Powerstrut.

Reply to
Dean Hoffman

Yes, you can find them at Home Depot. They are with the SuperStrut parts stocked next to the electrical conduit. They fit the 1 5/8" wide SuperStrut. They carry them in 1/4", 3/8" and 1/2" at least.

Reply to
DT

At least around here, I've heard it called "Kindorf" more than anything else.

nate

Reply to
N8N

Thanks much to all, very helpful!

Reply to
Bob Villa

Sure, any real supply house will have a good selection of channel nuts plus all of the other helpful hardware/clamps/accessories you can buy to use with Unistrut or whatever manufacturer is popular in your area.

Reply to
George

I got some from our electrician in the area...I needed them to remount seats in our facility bus (8 passenger+2 wheelchair) Thanks again...job done! bob

Reply to
Bob Villa

Why does the catalog page say:

"For best results use M 12 size"

If there are various sizes for various applications, how would they know that the M 12 size will give the best results?

Why would they even sell alternatives that *won't* give the best results?

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Because that is the largest thread size and most stable/strongest. But not everything you might be attaching to the strut can accommodate a M12 bolt.

Reply to
George

Any electrical supply house in the U.S. stocks them but not necessarily in metric sizes. The smaller sizes are used in data cabinets and should be available through supply houses that cater to network and telecom infrastructure installers. The last 19" rack panel cabinet I assembled used a lot of the small spring nuts in sizes like 10/32 in 1/2" channel.

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

If what you are attaching can't accommodate an M 12 bolt, then the M

12 size won't give you the "best result".

That was basically the point of my question.

If your explanation is correct (and I have no reason to doubt it) then the wording should be:

"For the best results, use the largest thread size that will work for your application."

Selecting a specific size without knowing the given application and saying that it will give the "best result" is misleading and confusing.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

My application was M12 and ended up using 1/2" nut with grade 8 bolts. This is a Supreme (StarTrans) 2008 conversion bus-Ford V8.

bob_v

Reply to
Bob Villa

I don't get it. How do these channel nuts work? Do they stick somehow to the understide of the floor?...

I think I get it now, but how did it help with your bus? It had rods or soemthing going across the bottom to hold the nuts?

What are those channels on each side and how do they help them stick?

What could the spring do?

Any or all of that is appreciated.

Reply to
mm

You use them in channel (hence "channel nut"):

The nuts go anywhere into the channel, then you turn them clockwise about 80 degrees. The spring holds the nut at the top of the channel. The grooves in the nut catch the edges at the top of the channel so the nut won't turn.

Reply to
bud--

Wow. That's great. Great picture. Great idea.

Thanks.

Reply to
mm

There are channels on each wall and in the floor on each side. They are lower profile (rectangular rather than square). We have double seats on the left and single on the right. What I had to do is remove one of the doubles and add a jump seat and put another single on the right. Hope this makes sense.

Reply to
Bob Villa

Yes it does. Thanks. I'm starting to recall that I may have seen such channels. I didn't know about channel nuts and didn't associate the two.

Reply to
mm

Here's the before/after layout:

bob