Are there really people this stupid?

Page 3 of 3
On 10/22/2015 12:48 PM, (PeteCresswell) wrote:

What you *can* get away with (now) and what you *could* get away with (then) have changed immensely.
I can recall taking great pains to refer to my "wire wrap GUN" as a "wire wrapping tool" whenever airport security stumbled onto it in my luggage.
On 10/22/2015 5:05 PM, Don Y wrote:

Our industry uses a pneumatic piston operated venturi to blow material into a mold. It has commonly been referred to as a "fill gun" for decades. After a shipment got held up in customs for a while everyone began calling them "fill injectors" on paperwork.
On 10/22/2015 7:37 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Reminds me, I need to weatherize my trailer before winter. I'll get some tubes of caulk, and a caulking gun^h^h^hdispenser.
And then put the plastic on my windows, using my Arrow staple tacker.
Ah, the life of paranoid weapon phobic weenies.

Sounds like you answered yer own question.
nb
On Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 11:01:46 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:
Any time one poses the question "Are there really people this stupid?" the answer is invariably Yes, no matter what circumstances prompted the question.
Cindy Hamilton
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote in

Yes, there really are people this stupid. Read some of the reports compiled in the Woodworking Accident Survey http://www.woodworking.org/AccidentSurvey/search.htm
Example: *nine* reports of hand/finger injuries caused by using a biscuit joiner while holding the workpiece by hand instead of using clamps.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

My favorite is this one:
http://tinyurl.com/osgjtvm
A few years ago I got curious about whether a lawsuit was filed in this matter, and how it came out. I posted a question about it on a legal newsgroup and the eventual answer was this:
Civil Case Number 037453/2005, a suit by Barbara Squicciarini vs. Conopco, Inc. (which I guess is the parent company or successor of Unilever, the maker of AquaNet), in which she is represented by David I. Schoen, as indicated in the NY Post article.
Under "case status", the courts website lists the matter as "disposed", not "active", so the other poster who said the case is still active is apparently mistaken. Interestingly, Barbara Squicciarini is also listed as a plaintiff in 3 other suits filed in Brooklyn Supreme Court, in all of which she was represented by a different law firm, Monaco & Monaco LLP, all of them personal injury cases apparently involving injury to Barbara herself, two of those being car crashes, and one of those cases is still active, which may be the one the other poster was referring to.
In hopes of putting inquiring minds at rest, I clicked on the case number, which conveniently brought up a summary of status, indicating the date of disposition was 1/3/2007. A motion to dismiss that was filed on 1/3/2006 was denied by a short form order on 1/25/06. Since that was just a month after the case was filed (on 12/16/05), my guess is the judge just felt it was too early to dispose of the case since the pleadings apparently at least alleged a proper cause of action, and that factual discovery would be needed to flesh it out and see whether it needed to go to trial.
There is no other indication of the nature of the final disposition on 1/3/2007. Maybe someone more versed in reading the NY Courts website can help out here, but my guess is that means it was simply settled off the record in a confidential settlement between the parties and removed from the docket. That is not uncommon in a product liability suit that challenges the safety of the design or labeling of a company's entire line of products; the company often will want the present case to be settled to get it off the docket and cap their risk of large losses, but they do not want any public record of it so that it cannot encourage or be used a precedent by any other claimants. In this particular case, of course, I have no idea whether that is what occurred, it is just rank speculation. But if it is what happened, it's not surprising that there have been no further news reports about the outcome, since neither side would be making statements to the media in case of a confidential settlement.
I hope that is enough to satisfy everybody and kill this thread.
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
On 10/24/2015 6:20 PM, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

While I sympathize with the family and agree the woman suffered horribly...
"...Dec. 14, 2003, one day after she tried to apply Aquanet to her hair as she did daily. When the can's nozzle became clogged after she had sprayed on some of the product, Squicciarini picked up a can opener from a kitchen drawer, according to court papers filed in the Brooklyn Supreme Court suit. "With the can opener, Lorraine Squicciarini opened a hole in the bottom of the Aquanet can in an attempt to clear the nozzle,"
Are you kidding me? Can opener to clear a nozzle FROM THE BOTTOM the can? In what alternate universe?
"Do NOT puncture" is an inadequate warning? Apparently it was in this case, but for any person with an IQ above room temperature it should be more than sufficient.
At some point society must let Darwin run wild and improve the breed. Entertaining asinine claims such as this just harms us all overall.