Are there any single pane replacements for failed double pane windows

Hi All,
For whatever energy saving get from my "double pane" windows, it can not make up for the expense of having to replace them every ten years or so.
Are there any single pane replacements for failed double pane windows? Anything close to the energy savings with out all the repair costs?
Many thanks, -T
Todd wrote:

Hi, Doulbe pane is two single pane. Both are broken? You must live in very mild climate. We need double pane minimu, triple pane usually.
Tony Hwang wrote:

Just look like hell. I was thinking maybe some genius had come up with a special material that had the effect.

I replaced two somewhere around 20 years ago and haven't had them fail yet. One failed the first year but they replaced it at no charge.
Harry K

my double pane windows are at least 15 years old and only 3 have failed

locally a glass company replaces the 2 pane sealed units. you take the assembly frame and glass in by 8 am, pick up after 3 pm. 80 bucks for a large picture window, half of a double hung 65 bucks.
are you replacing the entire window every time a pane leaks?
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

No, can't afford it. They look like crap with all the condensation between the two windows. I figure that when I get embarrassed enough by the way they look, I will finally do something about it. I was thinking if there was a single pane solution, I'd just get it done once and be done with it.
-T

Call a window company. They measure the glass accurately and order new sealed units, which they change in less than half an hour each, with the window in place.
You can get low E2 Argon for a very small premium over standard glazing - and the good thermal units will last a LONG time.
On Jan 26, 1:09�pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

yeah my old single pane windows would get covered by ice indoors often.
R value of them must have been zero
On 1/25/2009 7:59 PM Todd spake thus:

Yes. I assume you're talking about window sashes here: if they're fixed windows, you'll have to have the glass people come out to your house.
Take the sash to a door and window place and have it single-glazed. Simple.
There's not a hell of a lot of difference in the R-values between single and double-glazed windows. Every little bit helps, of course, but it's not as if your house is going to turn into a freezer (or an oven) if you use single glazing. I actually think double-glazing is highly overrated.
mostly pears.
David Nebenzahl wrote:

spoken like a guy who's never had a double paned window.... There IS a difference. a HUGE difference.
On 1/25/2009 8:45 PM Steve Barker TB spake thus:

I didn't say it doesn't make *any* difference: read what I wrote.
Here's a site with comparative R-values for various window types: http://www.progress-energy.com/custservice/flabusiness/efficiency/CA/library/BUILD001.asp
Here's the relevant info from that site:
type winter summer -------------------------------- Single-pane 0.9 0.96 Double-pane           .25" air space 1.72 1.64 .5" air space 2.04 1.78 Triple-pane      .25" air space 2.56 2.27 .5" air space 3.22 2.56
The good thing is that double-glazing *almost* doubles the window's R-value, and triple-glazing almost triples it.
The bad thing is that the R-value is low in any case. Windows, even triple-glazed ones, are heat-losers (or non-keepers-out in summer). Compare these R-values to that of an insulated wall, for example, which will typically be anywhere from R-16 to R-22.
So maybe not that big a deal after all.
mostly pears.
On 1/25/2009 9:00 PM David Nebenzahl spake thus:

I should have said almost doubles/triples in summer, slightly more than doubles/triples in winter.
mostly pears.

And that equates to "not a hell of a lot of difference in R values? I agree with Steve. Perhaps thouguh it explains some of your other bizarre views.

On 1/26/2009 6:12 AM snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net spake thus:

So you think R-2 is an impressive insulation value? Compared to typical wall insulation?
You must be one of those people who also think that trading derivatives creates "wealth", judging by your handle.
mostly pears.

Research payback and energy savings the numbers are there, air infiltration is something you have not considered. If you figure LowEargon its much higher. You want real insulation, look at Alpen or Loewen R 7 windows.
On Sun, 25 Jan 2009 20:35:58 -0800, David Nebenzahl

Not where it gets down to zero F on a regular basis. If you go single pane you WILL need storm windows..
Get quality double glazed replacement units and they will last a lot longer than 10 years. The good stuff uses a thermal break spacer instead of the aluminum that was common in the past, and uses a triple mastic seal. 3 different kinds of "glue" if you will, to seal the glass units. Minimum of 2. he old sealed units just used one, which had a tendancy to fail after a few years of expansion/contraction from temperature changed. Vibration or use of a pressure washer to clean the windows sped up the deterioration.