Are there ANY contractors who keep appointments?

Page 3 of 3
'My husband has been remodeling our house himself for the past 5 years. On the 3 occasions we needed someone to do some work, 2 out of 3 made appointments and didn't show up or call, and one showed up once, then never showed up again. Is this the norm?'
ME: This is pretty much the norm in the Trades from what ive experienced also.

This is Turtle.
Yes Dave I can see your point here. When there has not been any other hvac contractor over there to tell them what to do and then the customer tells you what the other contractor decide to do. You would have no ideal of where to start and try to give a price. I guess your use to the first contractor pricing it out and you get the customer to tell you what he will do it for so you can say hey I'll do it for 20% less than that. It's hell tring to be the second bidder in this business ain't it Dave. Or are you really in the business ?
TURTLE
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Kim) wrote in

Getting them to even CALL BACK or else SHOW UP ! People are lazy these days and don't even want to work. They just will appear and wave their hands around and charge you a lot of money.
I know that this was suppose to be a thread complaining about contractors but I've been contracting on the side for years and have found that the same complaint you have about the contractors goes for the people looking for contractors, I will not work for anyone that has not been referred by another one of my respected clients. My clients know that when they refer a friend if they turn out to be a "loser" it affects their reputation and in the past 5 years I haven't had only one dud. I agree with the other contractors who are sick of pricing jobs only to find out the clients wanted to just do the work themselves or figure out what to pay their brother in law. I've gotten to the point where even I believe my rates are crazy but it keeps the duds from even asking me to take a look at their job.
I think that there need to be more honesty and respect from the client and the contractors. If you don't know what you want tell them, this means more work for us. If you want a ball park figure just tell us the truth and a lot of the time we will help out. Meet us half way by coming to out location and save both of us a lot of hassle.
On 04 Jan 2005 03:08:25 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Kim) wrote:

One thing that hasn't been mentioned in this thread: The really good contractors are snowed under with work. So they don't answer their phone messages or don't come out for an estimate.
It works like this. The contractors work is so good that the current homeowners has them do some extra work; then the homowners family members hear and see how good he is and has him do some work for them and then the homeowners friends hear how good he is and want something else done. Very quickly, the guy is completely booked up for years.
So when someone doesn't show up or answer his phone, he is probably ten times the contractor that the guy that shows up is.
PJ
this is what is known as 'mystique'; defining a good contractor as a bad contractor. when you see bad signs like no callbacks, it must mean he's good...
many businesses run on this premise. i dont do business with any of them if i can help it....
randy

On Tue, 4 Jan 2005 11:02:35 -0700, "xrongor"

So you'll always end up with the crappy incompetent bozo.
PJ

That just isn't what happens in real life. As a consumer of contractor services, I expect those I do business with to have INTEGRITY, to respect me and my time as I do theirs. I expect them to br e competent and to do what they say just as I expect to do what I say, (pay on time, have premises in stated condition when they arrive, etc.). In the main, I have had excellent results from the ones I actually hired.
Of course I shop for price, just like you, Mr. Contractor, do when you shop for a car. I do not always take the lowest price. Each of the last two times I hired an HVAC contractor I went with the highest of three prices because they convinced me they had a better, though more expensive, solution.
If you think I am bad for wanting to know your price up front, for wanting to compare that price with a couple of others, then you don't want to do business with me, and I am glad not to get stuck with your doing it to me.

[...]

i NEVER end up with the crappy incompetent bozo.
if you cant be counted on to return a phone call, you cant be counted on to do ANYTHING. end of discussion.
now go back to digging cans out of dumpsters. that child support payment is due soon...
randy
are there any doctors who keep appointments (on time)?
lol
yes.
and your point is????? oh. i see. you want to fight. you have nothing to say. i think ive already covered that in this thread.
now go away.
randy

I think most good contractors or tradesmen are overbooked because they are good. The trick is to find someone who knows the reputations of the various tradesmen, and get him to make a recommendation; then call the tradesman and tell him how you got his name, and what you want done.
For a lot of trades, my son calls the realtor who sold him his home (and who wants to handle the next move, too) and asks for recommendations. This has worked really well for him. Apparently a good realtor realizes that some repairs or remodeling can boost the asking price of a home, and thus his commission, so they get a list of tradesmen who are good.
I visited my son intending to help him with some painting in his new home; when I saw the vaulted 17 foot ceiling, complicated by curved walls and a stairway, I realized we were not going to be able to do it with ladders, and even scaffolding would be a challenge. After talking about it, he called the realtor and got names of three painters; all responded to his calls, one came over that evening and gave an estimate we liked, so he called the others and advised them. It was rainy in San Diego when this happened and the estimate was given Tuesday evening, and the work was to be done Friday(!). Wednesday it rained again and the contractor called and said he couldn't do his outdoor work in the rain and asked if he could come Thursday, a day early. He and his crew showed up and did a better job than we could have done, in far less time.
Kim wrote:

there.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnojunk (Kim) wrote:

It hasn't been my experience. In the last year, we've remodeled a kitchen, done some electrical and installed central heat. Some of it we've done our selves, some we've contracted. Every one we've deal with has come exactly when they said they would and done what they said they would. The kitchen remodel was 29 days from demo (which we did) to finish including granite counter tops. Maybe we've just been lucky, but we did a lot of research before we got to the contractor stage.

With real estate values escalating and home equity loan rates still relatively low, more and more home owners are borrowing on the equity of their property and going ahead with remodeling. As a result, a good home remodeller can pick and choose his/her projects, so why would one pass up a large remodelling job to just finish up the remodelling you and your husband already started? That's just not sound business. I'd suggest you go to Lowe's or Home Depot and have them do the installation of your counters...and keep your fingers crossed that the guy they send out on your job is one of the good ones!
BTW, we are doing a kitchen remodelling starting in February. We contacted our contractor in August to tell him exactly what we wanted done. He got back to us within two weeks with the plans, helped us choose cabinets that fit our budget, recommended several sources for the appliances we need to purchase, and has kept in touch via fax and e-mail to keep us updated regarding his schedule so we can plan our own. Last night he called to see if he could come today with the hardwood floor contractor, and the two of them came within minutes of the scheduled appointment. We have used this contractor before. His work is excellent and he stayed within the time frame he promised. However, I doubt we'd get such attention if we were just asking him to finish off what we had already started rather than asking him to do the whole job. In that case he'd probably just fit us into the gaps between his larger, more profitable jobs, and I suspect this is what you're going to experience.
Liz

True, true.
But then, he shouldn't have committed to the appointment.

I have a contractor that does big jobs on my house, but also small jobs, where I actually arrange to be a 'filler'. (Such as - indoor small jobs for inclement weather in summer when he's doing a lot of roofing and framing...). That we're of very long acquaintance, and that he's trustworthy enough to leave a door unlocked for, makes this work. He gives a call in the morning if the weather is bad, or some materials didn't arrive in time on some other job, or they're waiting for inspection on some other job.... and he comes in that day. Win-win. Quality-wise, like yours, he's excellent.
If they're amenable to a very flexible arrangement, being a filler isn't necessarily all that bad.
Then again, there are contractors who are just plain piss-poor at any arrangement.
Banty

Uh...thanks, but no thanks! We have invested a lot of money in this kitchen and the stuff we've seen there does not appeal to us in the least.
We have not borrowed on our equity. We have paid cash for each project every step of the way. My husband gutted the kitchen down to the studs and foundation, removed an island, put up new drywall, sprayed and knock down, painted, installed crown molding. We had custom cabnets made from a kitchen and bath place and my husband installed them. We bought nice tile and my husband installed that.
He has done our whole house that way, outside, inside, and backyard. But the granite, obviously, can't be done by us. We are ready to pay cash, and have it done. The kitchen is sitting there all brand new, except for the counter and appliances . I have been without a kitchen since August and am sooooo sick of sandwiches! Anyway. I really fail to see why someone would have a problem with it. They stand to make around 10,000. I'm estimating. All they have to do is come in make a template, and git er' done. And is it too much trouble to make a simple phone call if you are not going to make an appointment, or if you don't want the job just be direct (not chicken) and say so? My husband had to take off work and come wait for the guy. It's just plane impolite!