are the septic assist garbage disposals a good idea

My in-sink-erator has rusted through and needs to be replaced. It was the septic assist model with container that injects some supposed septic assist fluid. My previous home did not have this "feature".
Are these really necessary? We are careful with what we put down the drain. Most of our solids go out to the chickens!
Any suggestion on a new unit? I was thinking to go with the same brand in hopes it keeps all the plumbing the same. I'm leaning towards just a regular disposer w/o the septic fluid.
On Sat 25 Oct 2008 11:30:11p, told us...

I'd like to know the opinions, too. We've never been on a septic system until now, for the past two years. It's a new system. We purposely did not install a disposer because we were told they weren't compatible with septic systems. I really miss having one.
--
Wayne Boatwright
"Not compatible" is a bit misleading IMO.

On Sat 25 Oct 2008 11:57:00p, Kevin told us...

Up until this current house we were always on a sewer system and always had a disposer. We never put anything down it except vegetable and fruit waste, cooked grains like rice, etc. Never meats or bones or fats. I suppose, given that, having a disposer with a septic would probably be feasible.
We live in the desert and have no need for composting. Currently all of our "garbage" is hauled away, but I miss the convenience of the disposer, especially when prepping veggies and fruits for cooking.
We had considered the In-Sink-Erator with the septic feature, but hadn't made a decision.
--
Wayne Boatwright

So it's best to grind the smaller stuff first, and then grind the big stuff?
On Sun 26 Oct 2008 07:55:33a, PanHandler told us...

When you consider what one normally flushes down the toilet ending up in the septic tank, I would assume that what isn't easily digested by one's own body is also not easily digested by the septic tank. The process is not dissimilar, both sources of waste products being acted upon by bacteria and enzymes.
--
Wayne Boatwright
: 7bit
My in-sink-erator has rusted through and needs to be replaced. It was the septic assist model with container that injects some supposed septic assist fluid. My previous home did not have this "feature".
Are these really necessary? We are careful with what we put down the drain. Most of our solids go out to the chickens!
Any suggestion on a new unit? I was thinking to go with the same brand in hopes it keeps all the plumbing the same. I'm leaning towards just a regular disposer w/o the septic fluid.
=================================I think the septic assist is likely just a gimmick. Most city/county codes require pumping every three years (to remove the sludge that gathers at the bottom). In rural areas where there are no pumping codes, people go many, many more years before they 'have to' pump.
If your septic is working well, a disposal shouldn't be a problem. I'm not as concerned about finely ground food (or even small chunks of food that sneak down my drain) as much as I am about laundry water/chemicals which can stop the septic's action.
Here's something I heard about that helps to 'restart' or boost the action of a septic:
2 C. Brown Sugar 5 C. Hot Water 1 pkg Yeast Stir to dissolve the sugar and yeast. Then flush it all down the toilet. Don't send more water down any drains/toilet for an hour afterward.
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Never heard of this and have been using regular disposer on septic for years. Do not put anything in it that I can throw in trash and that includes cooking oils. Just had tank pumped after 4 years and tech said to just continue what I was doing as all was fine.