Are Tankless Water Heaters a Waste of Money?

Page 3 of 3
On Tue, 8 May 2012 07:14:15 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Up here housing is expensive enough that the basements are heated living space in the large majority of homes.
And i did not say the "lost heat" was a benefit - I just said it is no big deal. Nothing to make a tankless an advantage over.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 5, 10:49 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Clearly it does not give you all the benefits of tankless.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 6 May 2012 08:28:46 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Like? A small electric heater wouldn't require a flue, a *big* advantage.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 6, 12:03 pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Unlimited hot water. No standby losses 24/7 from multiple tanks.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 6 May 2012 14:57:53 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Backed by a 50gal tank it's pretty much "unlimited". I've never drained a water tank (don't have four daughters, either ;-).

That's a small issue, likely swamped by differences in fuel and purchase costs.
Add pictures here
✖

Try putting a jacuzzi style tub in the master bath.

Add pictures here
✖
On Mon, 7 May 2012 06:41:17 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

I've had one in each of the last three houses (one had the domestic coil in the boiler). I don't believe I've ever filled one. ;-)

Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 6 May 2012 08:28:46 -0700 (PDT), " snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net"

Nor the drawbacks.
Add pictures here
✖

Point of use tanks are typically electric Where I am, electric would increase cost by a factor of 3+ compared to natgas.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 6 May 2012 10:52:32 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"

Where I am the cost factor goes 1/0 the other way. ;-) The tankless heater still needs a flue, not a small thing in an existing structure, nor is the initial cost.
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 6 May 2012 10:52:32 -0500, "Attila.Iskander"

Only for the power used by the POU which only heats the first couple gallons, at most - and keeps that amount hot - and CAN be put on a timer if water usage is predictable. For instance, the POU can come on early in the morning to provide instant hat water for the morning bathroom use, and then come on again for evening use.
Add pictures here
✖
On May 6, 8:26 pm, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

And how does that tank work with a shower? Don't you wind up with real hot water, then it peters out as the cold water in the hot water lines refills it. To be followed by the temperature rising back up again once hot water from the main water heater arrives? I would think it would make for a real interesting first few minutes.
Add pictures here
✖
On Fri, 04 May 2012 20:57:52 -0400, "Norm A. Brams"

I don't have one, but I want one. My kitchen sink is around 60 ft from the water heater. I usually go without using hot water when washing my hands in the kitchen.
Add pictures here
✖