are spiders bad for my house?

Ignoring the fact that they may bite me, will they cause damage to the home like termites do?
No, they haven't invaded my home. ;) I just seem them every now and then especially now in spring, and I wonder if they will cause any damage to the wood frames if I don't kill them soon enough? I spray those 'home defense' things around my house but it just doesn't get rid of it completely.
What do you guys do for spider problems? ;)
Spiders are carnivores. They wouldn't be there unless there was something to eat. Leave them alone and let them rid your house of whatever it is that they are eating.

on. It was the first one I have ever seen and I hope it's the last. I have black widows all over the place and love them.

snipped-for-privacy@the.home wrote:

Why do you 'love' black windows? Aren't they very poisionous? What do they eat around the house? I never leave food around so I don't know where they are trying to eat... termites? now that'll be nice. ;)
Raymond
On Tue, 10 May 2005 19:16:05 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

They are a gorgeous black marble. I love popcorn spiders as well and encourage them to stick around by hand feeding them grass hoppers.

I feed mine grasshoppers.:)

Brown Recluse spiders are *real* bad. I'd prefer multiple black widow bites to a Brown Recluse bite. I think that if I had your experience I'd seriously consider moving out of the house.
Do you live in a part of the country where they are common?

This was the first one I ever saw, but I was pretty sure what it was. I bottled it and took it to a local college where it was positively IDed. I've seen pictures of the flesh damage a Brown Recluse bite can cause and it's nasty.
I think spiders are to be observed and identified but generally ignored otherwise. A rechargeable hand vac is OK for cosmetics. Spraying is just a waste of time as the spray has to be on the spiders legs to be effective and if you have it in your sights you might as well suck it up with a vac. Loxosceles Reclusa/brown recluse/fiddleback/violin spider is just awesome though. If I thought they were threatening me or my family I would think in terms of geography.

snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Frankly they are good for your home, other than they leave webs around and often piles of empty bug bodies. They eat other bugs.
--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
says... :) :) Ignoring the fact that they may bite me, will they cause damage to the :) home like termites do? :) :) No, they haven't invaded my home. ;) I just seem them every now and :) then especially now in spring, and I wonder if they will cause any :) damage to the wood frames if I don't kill them soon enough? I spray :) those 'home defense' things around my house but it just doesn't get :) rid of it completely. :) :) What do you guys do for spider problems? ;) :)
Unless you are in an area that can have dangerous spiders inside they would be more of a nuisance. They will leave droppings that are a pain to clean up, especially on hard wood floors. If it is ground hunting spiders you are seeing a routine yard treatment would be needed.
--
Lar

to email....get rid of the BUGS
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

Call an exterminator and have them spray the house or go to your local lowes or ace and get the stuff to do it yourself. I have my house sprayed every two yrs by a pro and never have any bugs/spiders.
My wife flips out when she see's one.
snipped-for-privacy@none.com wrote:

"Spider problems"? Running around with poison and spraying everything that moves is a "problem". Spiders (most) eat other critters that you may not like. If they build indoors and you want them to move, suck them up with the vacuum. Outdoors? Hose the webs on window frames and let the buggers go. I suspect I have black widows on the premises somewhere, as I did at my last house in Florida. Rattlers, too. I have a friend who found two snakes in her home within a month's time, one of which was a poisonous coral snake. It was a time of extremely heavy rain, she lived next to a lake, and he probably got flooded out of his nest and had to move. Moved into the nearest habitable place that had a little opening (garage door) with room for him to enter. Just doing what comes naturally :o)
Generally, they do no harm except for scaring the daylights out of my wife once in a while. FYI, we flea bombed once in another house we owned and we noticed that every bug (even spiders) disappeared for about 3 months after that. Be careful with poisons though, you live there too you know.

call doc octopus and the green goblin?
randy