On Sep 25, 10:49 am, firstname.lastname@example.org wrote:
Hi there sa......@ dog etc.
And probably way more than I have also, so I will defer to your
greater technical/electronic expertise.
But it really does worry when someone who possibly doesn't know DC
from AC; the kinda of competent, perhaps, do it yourself person, but
who posts on this news group that they are measuring 38 volts using a
DMM on a dead wire due to capacitive pickup of AC voltages etc.
And then opens up a 1000 watt microwave (essentially a very high
frequency radio transmitter inside a metal box) with DC voltages of up
to 5000* volts and ampere capacity of at least 100* milliamps or more
(certainly enough to kill somebody) and starts tinkering and exposing
themselves to microwave radiation.
Also if they do fix it perhaps not getting the cover back on with
those RF sealing edges, and not realising that it matters?
For example: One person said something about getting a few screws to
put a microwave cover back on. That's rather like digging around in
the garage and putting whatever kind of old engine oil one finds into
a perfectly good car motor! Most wouldn't do it eh?
So yes; while I am an older and somewhat out of date (tube era)
electronics technician and I've fixed a few m.waves, if my neighbour
(who has only a few clues about 'any' electrcity) started messing with
his microwave I'd stop him for his own safety.
Reference ' * '; that's 43 times the voltage and at least some 3 times
the current that GFIs are required to operate for human safety. In
other words while most posters are no doubt smart and sensible and
apart from microwave radiation (you wouldn't stand in front of a
radar!) they can kill you.
So; not preaching just warning. OK?
Microwave ovens don't have cathode ray tubes unless you've installed a
video game into one or perhaps you have a combination microwave oven
and television set.
They use a tube called a magnetron and usually the power supply will give
out long before the magnetron has degraded enough to be noticeable.
It's not worth fixing a microwave, but I do think the older, American
Made ones like my vintage 1989 Tappan are way better than the Chinese
junk you can only buy today. And I also happen to know one other
person with my exact same microwave. Still in service after all this
They dropped off a lightning struck Amana in our shop. The clock was
fried. We drilled a hole right through the center of the key pad and
installed a spring wound timer. It worked like that for years.
We were able to keep all the door interlocks functioning. That was our
On Thu 25 Sep 2008 09:12:36p, Jim Yanik told us...
I assume you're happy with it, but a 650 watt oven is sadly under-powered
by today's standards. I'm sure that there must be some current models with
a taller cabinet than others.
We have two m/w's, one 1000 watt over-the-range model which I consider
perfectly adequate, and a second 1350 watt countertop model which I really
prefer. The over-the-range unit has a tall enough cavity to accomodate any
container I use, and is tall enough to handle two levels of cooking if the
rack is inserted.
It's nice to save money, but I prefer advances in technology.
Unless you like to heat and eat rocks, more power isn't desirable.
I rarely use full power. I'd rather eat my food than scrape it off the
walls of the microwave oven. I cook my morning breakfast cerial at
power 4 and use 5 or 6 for everything else.
No shit sherlock.
However if one has to run it at a 50% duty cycle instead of a 70% duty cycle to
prevent the food from ending up along the walls of the microwave oven, then the
increased power isn't providing the slightest benefit.
True of conventional microwave ovens, but not the Panasonic Inverter
models. All power settings from 30-100% run the magnetron continuously,
but vary some tube operating parameter to adjust the RF output. The 10%
and 20% settings are implemented by 1/3 and 2/3 duty cycle at the 30%
I can cook a single egg in an open bowl in the Panasonic at 30% power
without it exploding.
On Fri 26 Sep 2008 10:29:48p, Dave Martindale told us...
I *love* my Panasonic Inverter. I've had my countertop model for about 5
years. When we moved into a new house a year and a half ago, it was
equipped with a very nice full-featured over-the-range microwave. I kept
the Panasonic since we had plenty of counter space, and I rarely use the
other unit unless what I'm cooking calls for full power, or using just the
"keep warm" setting, which works quite well.
There are lots of things that I cook at power 2, 3, or 4. I also cook
virtually everything covered, so there's no mess in the oven cavity
regardless of power setting. However, full power at high wattage is great
for quickly bringing liquid based items to a boil, then lowering the
setting for longer cooking. Not to mention that the higher the wattage,
the better popcorn pops and with virtually no unpopped kernels. This is
true whether it's prepackaged m/w popcorn, or using a m/w popcorn popper
with regular popcorn, with or without oil. Cooking bacon is no messier at
high power than at lower settings.
Today, cooking times for packaged frozen foods are usually calibrated for
ovens of 1000-1200 watts. Take a look at the packages. The final product
cooks better at the appropriate wattage, rather than having to adjust the
timing up to compensate for low power.
We jave 650 watt Amana microwaves in our break room at work. I *hate*
I had the same problem until I discovered food-covers.
For example, a lid from a Folger's plastic coffee "can" fits neatly over my
soup bowls. An upside-down tupperware bowl fits over saucers. And so on.
When the food explodes, bumps, or turns inside-out, the mess ends up on the
covering device, not on the MW's walls.
The the lid pops off, and the food ends up on the tray.
Sorry. I prefer my food in a dish, not scraped off the tray.
Variable power (duty cycle for salty's anal analysis) has been around since
the 70's with good reason.
Chuckle. Not always. This house came with an over-the-stove micro, which
I hardly ever use, in favor of my old Samsung. I tried covering a dish
with a paper towel once, at a medium power setting, and the paper towel
caught on fire.
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.