Are old microwave ovens built better than the new ones?

Page 1 of 4  

I have a microwave that just died...the control board is dead.
I have had this microwave for a number of years and suspect I could wire a substitute for the controller...likely a timer.
So is this microwave worth saving?
I note that the new ones look like they have been "valued engineered" to where they may not be the best for the long run.
Your opinion?
Thanks
TMT
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

IMO no, I would cost at least $100 to fix. is a used microwave worth $100 when a new doest cost much more than that. On the other hand repair manuals are available on the web and you may be able to get the part for $50 or so. I might be willing to try something like that.
Jimmie
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
JIMMIE wrote:

If you have a commercial/restaurant type microwave oven, I'd say fix it and keep it. Those units are of high quality and well made. The microwave oven I'm using at the shop is one I found next to the dumpster and it's brand new and had the manual and clean glass turntable inside it! I've repaired a lot of microwave ovens over the years and have had to make the "Not economical to repair decision" on many of them. The problem with many of the control boards is that they are the most expensive component of the whole oven. Many of the other parts like the micro switches and magnetron are the same across a number of different models and are not as hard to find a replacement for. If you know your way around 'lectricity, and know how to use basic test equipment, you may be able to repair it yourself. Please be very careful because the high voltage inside is a lot more dangerous than what you would find in a CRT type TV set because of the high current. The microwaves can damage the corneas of your eyes if you were to bypass the safety interlocks and turn it on with the door open. If you are determined to repair the oven, there are a lot of resources online to help you. Here's one:
http://www.gallawa.com/microtech /
Good luck!
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
"Uncle Monster" wrote:
[snip]

I'd also recommend Sam Goldwasser's guide on them, especially at the lower cost:
http://www.repairfaq.org/sam/micfaq.htm
Jon
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Jon Danniken wrote:

of that site, thanks. I'm always looking for new sources of information.
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 19:17:34 -0700 (PDT), Too_Many_Tools

The cathode ray tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also, modern microwaves generate more power to begin with than older units did when they were new.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim evans wrote:

magnetrons are typicaly used.
Also, they don't "generate" power.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
Boden wrote:

ROTFLMAO This is too good! I wish my microwave oven oven had a klystron. I could hack it into an atom smasher or build a radar to detect those Chinese ICBM's that are coming soon. OH! My tummy hurts from laughing. I gota lay down. HE HE HE!!
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Suit yourself. A high power vacuum tube then.

OK -- The high power vacuum tube at the heart of a microwave gradually uses itself up and unit puts out less and less power as it grows older. Also, modern microwaves output more power to begin with than older units did when they were new.
Happy now?
modern microwaves output more power to begin with than older units did when they were new. Happy?
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

No. You're blowing the degradation out of proportion. They might drop 5% by the time the power supply craps out. BFD.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 14:32:17 -0500, AZ Nomad

I think you missed my point. Twenty years ago the typical microwave was 600-800 watts. Today they're typically 1000-1200+
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

and with much smaller oven cavities.(and lower price!)
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
wrote:

the cathode emission drops with age;that is the reason for a drop in power output.
--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
jim evans wrote:

same time! ROTFLMAO
[8~{} Uncle Monster
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu 25 Sep 2008 01:48:49a, Uncle Monster told us...

The only problem is the image keeps spinning around on the turntable.
--
Wayne Boatwright

*******************************************
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:49:17 GMT, Wayne Boatwright

And all the shows are turkeys :-)
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Thu 25 Sep 2008 08:56:41a, Harry L told us...

LOL! You don't need a microwave for that. :-)
--
Wayne Boatwright

*******************************************
  Click to see the full signature.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

And here I thought they were mainly used for TVs.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Wed, 24 Sep 2008 23:10:06 -0500, jim evans

Cathode Ray tube? I think you mean magnatron.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload
On Sep 25, 8:32am, snipped-for-privacy@dog.com wrote:

Nope: Magn'E'tron. But that's only spelling. Unless you are a well accomplished electronics/transmitter technician don't mess with it. The control board also monitors that the safety switches etc. are doing their job. New m.wave ovens are so cheap it makes more sense, unfortunately, to dump and get a new one. Frequently around $50 on sale here at say Wal mart! Someone once described m.wave ovens "As the most dangerous appliance ever made"! Please be very careful.
Add pictures here
<% if( /^image/.test(type) ){ %>
<% } %>
<%-name%>
Add image file
Upload

Related Threads

HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.