Are Leaf Rakes Illegal???

Page 2 of 5

Because they are noisy. I don't care how loud it is if it was just you that was hearing it, but I don't like to hear a couple of mowers going at 5 or 6 PM on an otherwise quiet Sunday while I'm trying to relax and enjoy dinner on the deck.
I don't complain during the week after work or Saturday. I use a power mower also. But I refuse to make noise during the weekend dinner time.
Yesterday I was raking my leaves. The neighbor across the street was blowing his and I had this constant whine in my ears from it and I was 400 feet away. I finished first though as raking was faster that the blower would move them.(there are probably higher powered ones) I considered getting one myself, but I can see they don't really save time. He was complaining that using the blower was causing some pain in the wrist.
Most are too noisy, my Echo is too noisy. Consumer Reports may rate them.
John Deere make a nice unit, fairly quiet, light, and well balanced. The exaust is shot out the blower tube so it is low to the ground and doesnt get into your lungs.
I don't know what one of my neighbors has, but at 100', it's as loud as standing right next to a table saw.

Most table saws are virtually silent. Induction motors make very little noise. Or, are you thinking the noise it makes cutting through wood? ;-)
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est

Yeah....with wood in progress. You know what I mean, wise guy. :-)

Anybody here ever heard of "ear plugs"? I wear them when I mow also.

If your car is as noisy as a leaf blower, get it fixed. Compared to leaf blowers, cars are silent.
Alternatively, get your hearing checked - you might be deaf.
Mike
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 20:44:13 GMT, "Doug Kanter"

Best of both worlds- rake the leaves into a pile (quietly), then use a leaf vacuum/shredder for two minutes to suck them into a bag. Another advantage, 1/2 (or less) the number of bags. Save the shreds and use them for mulch in the garden.
Alternatively, just mow the leaves and let them disintegrate in place.

bags
use
take
Want
and
Just moved in. Not enough garden dug up yet for the volume of leaves I have. I tilled a 40x40 vegetable garden two weeks back, and it's already got 8 trillion bushels of a mowed grass/leaf mix mixed in and piled on. Next spring, I'm removing 1/4 of the total lawn area and creating enormous flower & shrub beds. Then there'll be a home for the leaves.

their
have.
flower
Composting is kinduva art--probly best to mix the brown and green matter together in a pile.......the green ( grass clippings ) providing the nitrogen, and let it all break down good *before* you till it in.......
--
SVL

the
noise!
heads
Yeah, but I want to start small. I have a corner lot, so the place where I'd like to put multiple compost bins is where it would be visible to two neighbors. I'm waiting for delivery of a Soilmaker (your basic tall plastic box - a model I've used in the past). I'll probably add 3 more in the spring. In this neighborhood, an open pile or a chicken wire thing would look out of place, even though they'd be beautiful to me.
Or.....plant a hedge to surround the compost factory. We'll see. I have more ideas than I have time and cash at the moment.

40+
and
Another
use
place.
8
I'd
plastic
more
We corrall them in with old pallets--and its much easier to turn the pile over if your corral is twice the size as your pile, turn from left to right.
Probly lots of ideas in one of the gardening forums, one might be just what your doctor erdered.
--
SVL

I go with the mowing em. Honda self prop rear bagger. Remove bag it is a very good mulcher. Two passes with leaves higher than the deck leaves nothing but a powdering of very small bits behind. Good for the lawn and a lot faster than the raking or blowing methods.
Harry K

up
alone in

in
blowers
And...cripes....the
entire
peoples'
use
and
leaves I

got
Next
enormous
matter
in.......
where
would
have
pile
right.
what
The wife runs a small plant nursery here part time, and so several of our neighbors and even the city public works dept are delighted to drop off leaves and clippings for us.
--
SVL

I mowed our lawn (last time this year?) and simultaneously shredded the leaves on Saturday while our neigbors were raking theirs, and after I'd finished I found the gardening column in the local paper with a recommendation to shred insted of rake or blow.
--
MB

Whether you vote Democrat or Republican on November 2, the country will
still be run from boardrooms in the USA and elsewhere, not by your
Great, but a lot of mowers (including mine) won't shred large volumes of leaves effectively. Bring yours over!

Curly Sue-I thought I was the only one who knew about the mower trick ;-) I have a mid size tractor with a mulching deck, (and a lot of leaves from numerous mature pin oaks, maples, lindens, etc) 2-3 times over the yard twice a season mulches them neatly into the grass with no more effort than cutting the lawn, which I assume is using them as fertilizer. I do it 1st when about half are down, then again when they all are. Been doing it for years, every fall the neighbors still stare like I'm nuts but no dead patches in the lawn or other adverse effects. Only trick is they have to be pretty dry to chop up effectively. The pin oaks in particular practically turn to powder.
Used to use a leaf blower to blow the gutters clean. Always wore hearing protection. Damn things stink too, 2 cycle engines are pretty dirty. Recently I got a Ridgid 5 hp shop vac with the larger diameter hose, tried it on the gutters not really expecting it to work & was stunned how effective it is. I'll NEVER use another method. Plus unlike the blower which blasted the leaves everywhere, you just empty the vac into a suitable container; nothing to rake up! A big-ass shop vac is one of the best things to have around the house!
Dan
Curly Sue wrote:

Wait till you have water all over your basement floor for some unexpected reason. You'll be hugging that shop vac when it's all over. :-)
On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 21:37:40 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@nyc.rr.com (Curly Sue) wrote:

I've been doing the mowing method for many years.
*-------------------------------* NEVER FORGET!!! http://cf1.newsday.infi.net/911/victimsearchframe.cfm?id !05

Mow 1/3 acre of leaves where the average depth is 4+ inches? Sorry, all that's going to do is fluff them up a bit. ;-)
- Rich