Are Electric Water Heater Thermostats Generic?

I have an old Sears heater for which parts are still available from Sears, but I wondered if I could get new thermostats from the HD. How generic are they? Thanks for your help. Frank

Reply to
frank1492

IME they have been pretty much the same for many years now, and snap into their mounts on the heater tank. But there are various styles, like with or without high temperature safety cutouts and for single or dual element (top and bottom) heaters.

If you can put up with turning the heater off while you go shopping, remove the old ones and take them with you to make sure you get ones with the same mounting and functions. That's easier than relying on your memory.

HTH,

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff Wisnia