Are electric oil-filled radiator heaters a carbon monoxide risk?

Yes, I think that's the brand I have, and it worked when it needed to. Woke me up one night, making a big racket in my bedroom.. I had a headache, and opened the windows, then went downstairs to turn off the furnace. Later I learned the flue was almost clogged.

This one plugs in and shows some moving red segments with LEDs, and when the level gets over a certain point, it reports the level.

Apparently at the level I had, other urls say it would take 2 full days or was it 3 to kill me. But if I was too groggy to wake up the next day (not sure if the light and some sleeping woudl have let me wake up or not.) it would have had 3 days to do it's job.

mm

Rule of thumb in any liability issue: Dead people dont sue.

And yes Mark, they suck. They are NOT what the average person thinks they are. They are NOT a sure fire way to measure anything...and, does anyone know that after 5 years you are supposed to toss them? Who, honestly, has replaced a unit that is more than 5 years old? Who really knows how long its been there unless you just put it up? ITs why some of us install units that not only know, they make sure YOU know. The public wants cheap, so First Alert and others give you cheap. Just dont bet your life on it. Something is better than nothing, but personally, I would not have one of those POS things in my home. And the new combo smoke/CO detectors? Jokes.

Reply to
CBHVAC

So CB., Co detectors that are UL approved and independantly tested accurate, or better yet working, by many groups, one nationaly known, who even compares them, Consumer Reports are wrong. No I don`t believe it. There are deaths of course but 100x more people are made sick. Funny how nobody in the media has made this a public issue yet. for if they were as bad as you believe it would be headline news. Probably the most independantly tested device made is your hardware store Co detector. For true accuracy , yes I believe you, as few even simple thermometers and no cheap analog hygrometers have I ever ever seen as

100 correct. But to do their job and register, record, levels that are higher than Zero , I see them as working to inform of possible danger, there fore they work. I would not expect a pro to walk into my house with a first alert home wall unit, yes Id laugh and throw him out. They just are not designed for the abuse of what a pro puts them through.
Reply to
m Ransley

Hey Ransley, Go to

and read. You will find out just how well your goverment is taking care of us with CO detectors. CO Levels that dont alarm until you can be sick. Why? Stupid really. Keep in mind though, you wont pay $25 or $35 for a CO detector at
$100 will get you one. Just read and then make your own conclusions. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

I agree with the high Co needed to alarm issues being wrong, in not being displayed or alarmed somehow at levels above Zero, as in 1ppm., but there is a reason for that. An example is years ago when something like 10-14000 false alarms in Chicago were called in because of a temperature inversion in 24 hrs. I always recommend using the Peak memory function. To me what is important is they do monitor Co and record any level higher than Zero, I agree Zero is what it should be. A dual range dual alarm type is needed. My heavy cooking can sometimes make a 1-3 ppm reading for a minute, it should be noted with say lights flashing. maybe you know of sensors that are better. Best would be like my " VOC indoor air quality monitor" from Oregon Scientific, it logs a 8 hr graph of levels. When we didn`t have what we have now, many more people got sick.

Reply to
m Ransley

Bubba, our government is not supposed "to be taking care of us." That is a job best left to ourselves.

--James--

Hey Ransley, Go to

and read. You will find out just how well your goverment is taking care of us with CO detectors.

Reply to
James Nipper