Are common house ants cannibals?

Are ants cannibals?
A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers, I retired for the evening.
Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have disappeared. I was surprised.
So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the dead bodies of their camerades.
My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice them to cannibalism?

In my experience they are cannibals. I have seen them eat horn worms, crickets and a snake. Let me say for the record all of these were Outside, not inside.
MJ

Sure, they'll eat any old dead bug.
Stop spraying and get some ant traps with the poison they take back to their nests, and put down some boric acid powder such as Terro http://www.terro.com/antdust.php . It's the best way to control them.
Donita Luddington wrote:

They were carrying off their fallen comrades in order to give them a proper burial and memorial service. No flowers please...
--

dadiOH
____________________________
dadiOH wrote: ...

I was sorry I didn't get see the obituary announcement. Is there a memorial established somewhere for contributions?

To the fabled Ants' Graveyard.

They're jewish?
Father Haskell wrote:

Only those who are circumcised.
--
Dave
Father Haskell wrote:

No, they'd just prefer donations to the UAAVF (United Ants Against Vinegar Fund).
--

dadiOH
____________________________

Something to be learned here? Maybe ants marinated with vinegar taste good?

They aren't bad in chocolate

dont be silly, if they were there wouldn't be but 1 left, henry
Donita Luddington wrote:

Your ants are either omnivores or carried away the bodies of their loved ones for proper Christian burials.
I say this because cremation is probably not an option for an ant.

I don't know about most ants, but in the tropics, like Costa Rica, there are leaf-cutter ants, that cut little crescents out of leaves, bring the pieces back to the hill and feed them to the fungus that they cultivate. As the fungus grows, they eat some of it, take the waste out of the hill and pile it outside. Amazingly complicated I think.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leafcutter_ant

It is for an eight year old child with a magnifying glass.
Flikina Rosalka had written this in response to http://www.thestuccocompany.com/maintenance/Are-common-house-ants-cannibals-326363-.htm : I know lasius niger ants are because I saw a group of them eating one of their queens (came back later and found they had left half the corpse). They weren't provoked but spray or anything because I wouldn't want to get rid of them (even though they are a bit of an inconvenience when they're all over the kitchen floor between 9 and 10 PM). Quite a number of bugs are cannibals so it's not really suprising.
Donita Luddington wrote: