Are common house ants cannibals?

Are ants cannibals?

A huge trail of ants (many hundreds) was on my kitchen counter last night so I sprayed them with vinnegar (I was out of windex so I used vinnegar instead). Being late, and wishing the vinnegar to discourage new foragers, I retired for the evening.

Much to my chagrin, another, even larger swarm of Argentine ants had taken over my counter top, this morning - and the dead ants seem to have disappeared. I was surprised.

So, I sprayed 'em again and left the area for a while. Sure enough, yet another swarm replaced the second, and I noticed some carrying away the dead bodies of their camerades.

My question..... Are ants cannibals or did the inadvertant pickling entice them to cannibalism?

Reply to
Donita Luddington

In my experience they are cannibals. I have seen them eat horn worms, crickets and a snake. Let me say for the record all of these were Outside, not inside.

MJ

Reply to
mjciccarel

Sure, they'll eat any old dead bug.

Stop spraying and get some ant traps with the poison they take back to their nests, and put down some boric acid powder such as Terro

. It's the best way to control them.

RicodJour

They were carrying off their fallen comrades in order to give them a proper burial and memorial service. No flowers please...

Reply to
dadiOH

dadiOH wrote: ...

I was sorry I didn't get see the obituary announcement. Is there a memorial established somewhere for contributions?

Reply to
dpb

Donita Luddington wrote in news:wex9wkbjvadg.y9x4yss3ypyg$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

Something to be learned here? Maybe ants marinated with vinegar taste good?

Reply to
Red Green

They aren't bad in chocolate

Reply to
gfretwell

dont be silly, if they were there wouldn't be but 1 left, henry

Reply to
henrypenta

Your ants are either omnivores or carried away the bodies of their loved ones for proper Christian burials.

I say this because cremation is probably not an option for an ant.

Reply to
HeyBub

I don't know about most ants, but in the tropics, like Costa Rica, there are leaf-cutter ants, that cut little crescents out of leaves, bring the pieces back to the hill and feed them to the fungus that they cultivate. As the fungus grows, they eat some of it, take the waste out of the hill and pile it outside. Amazingly complicated I think.

mm

To the fabled Ants' Graveyard.

They're jewish?

Reply to
Father Haskell

Only those who are circumcised.

Reply to
Dave Bugg

No, they'd just prefer donations to the UAAVF (United Ants Against Vinegar Fund).

Reply to
dadiOH

It is for an eight year old child with a magnifying glass.

Reply to
Father Haskell

-------------------------------------

Reply to
Flikina Rosalka

replying to dadiOH, Ants104475237 wrote: "no flowers please" soon instead of taking food they take your flowers

Reply to
Ants104475237

Mmm, flowers. ;)

Reply to
Ant

I didn't catch the beginning of this, but they sure won't say no to the nectar in flowers if they can get to it.

Reply to
azigni