Are Circuit Breakers of different brands interchangable

Page 2 of 2

* It will not fit in a Square D QO panel. A Cutler Hammer CH (Tan handle) breaker will only fit in a Cutler Hammer CH panel. The other type of Cutler Hammer breaker (Black handle) may fit in a Square D Homeline panel, but it is not approved for that. Check the labeling on the panel or cover and it will tell you what circuit breakers are approved for that panel.

Is it soo difficult to just switch two wires and see if the fault is with the breaker or the circuit???

Red,
I don't and that recall was more than 25 years ago for panels made at least 35 years ago. I recall it because we had a store using that panel.
The owner did not want to upgrade the service so we just kept replacing breakers as they died. The building is still in use so it has not burnt down since then. :)
Colbyt
Breakers are designed to trip easier as they age, so a old breaker on a heavily loaded circuit that trips perodicaly will eventually become more sensitive and trip more.
I have seen this in my job too.
I used to fix machines at a circuit breaker manufacturer. it was a fascinating plant, sadly 2/3rds has been torn down only a small facility remains today... with very few workers:(
replying to MarkK, Power Electric - Orange County CA. wrote:

No. Just swap the two wires and see if the other breaker trips. If it does, you do not need a breaker, you need an electrician to determine and correct the fault.
Thanks for the reply....but the house in question has been sold for about 4 years now.
Mark