Are BOX fans dangerous????

Page 3 of 5

"probably????"
In other words, you don't know. You have no idea. So what was your point again?

I don't "fear" anything. I was stating a fact about a fire that started with a box fan that I owned.

Sure. The frayed extension cord had nothing to do with it.

I've seen many of them burst into flame

I'll be more specific. You're a lying sack of sh*t!!
nb

Do yo~ h@v# som# !ns@n# not!on th@t r#pl@c!ng th# vow#ls w!th p~nct~@t!on m@k#s @ny f~ck!ng d!ff#r#nc#?
Do you really give a fsck?
nb

Fuck yes.

I'm happy for you.
nb
My window fan just sparked up right now a few times and made popping noises! Freaked me right out and it is brand new and doesn't have any dust on it!

This is the weekend when kids prowl neighborhoods looking for fans to throw firecrackers at.
On Sun, 5 Jul 2015 20:17:54 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

No more dangerous than any motor, most of which will last for years if not decades and fail without causing a problem.
TAke it back and get another one or another brand.
I"m using my father's fan now that he bought around 1955. Old ones have to be oiled every year or two but it still works fine.

Anything with a motor is a potential fire hazard. These are generally cheaply made, but I've not heard of any particular hazard from them. Did he give any details as to why? I've used them for years and never had a problem, nor have I hear of any others. But . . . . I did a quick search and found this http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml06/06085.html Name of Product: Lasko, General Electric, Galaxy, and Air King Brand Box and Pivoting Floor Fans
Units: About 5.6 million
Manufacturer: Lasko Products Inc., of West Chester, Pa.
Hazard: An electrical failure in the motor can pose a fire hazard to consumers.
Incidents/Injuries: Lasko has received 42 reports of fires possibly associated with motor failures, with seven reports of injuries, including burns and smoke inhalation. At least eight of the reported fires resulted in extensive property damage.
Description: This recall involves various models of Lasko, Galaxy, Air King and General Electric fans manufactured between January 1999 and July 2001, and sold through February 2004. Styles and model numbers of recalled fans, which are either stamped or on a label on the bottom of the fans, are listed below:

I knew a family who died in a house fire caused by a box fan The firemen told their relatives That a box fan is not a window fan Even though thats where it mostly ends up a little rain and they rust up and the enamel wears away
a quick search
UNITED STATES CONSUMER PRODUCT SAFETY COMMISSION
The insulating enamel on the windings may have broken down and caused sparking and arcing.resulting in overheating thermally protected motor or a impedance-protected motor. as the varnish broke down and temperature on the winding rose, the protection failed to keep the windings from erupting in flames A contributing factor to portable fan-related fires or potential fires was the presence of plastic materials. When a fan with plastic blades, motor housing or enclosure overheated or caught fire, the plastic reportedly would melt and drip onto combustible materials such as carpet, clothing, bedding, paper, etc.
: The incident data show that the second largest number of incidents was related to the power-supply cords. The current power-supply cord requirements for portable electric fans allow SP-1, SP-2, SPT-1 and SPT-2 type constructions. These single-layer-insulation types of cords are not sufficient to prevent damage as described According to AHAM, imported portable fans represent more than 75 percent of all portable fans sold in the U.S., and China is the major exporting country of these products Information concerning safety standards on the fans, cords, or plugs was also very limited. For example, only 63 involved fans or cords were identified as UL Listed; Spud

A very good, believable report on somehting that _could_ have happened with no apparent evidence that it did.
Harry K
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

adapters if you register. I imagine they're fused.
On 8/8/2010 12:52 PM, jimmy wrote:

ya, i had one tell me 90% of house fires are from computer monitors. They say what sounds good at the time.
--
Steve Barker
Steve Barker wrote:

100 percent of house fires are caused by ignition of combustable materials, that is a FACT.
Jon

Then why don't they just put the combustibles outside? At least keep them in a metal box.
On Sun, 8 Aug 2010 13:27:27 -0700, Jon Danniken

and 100% irrelevent