Are Bigfeet necessary for pier footings?

I am pouring some 8" pier footings with sonotubes to support a deck. They will go down 4' into sand. Do I need to use bigfoot footings, or can I just pour my own 12" square 6" deep footings at the bottom of the hole right over the sand? I plan on securing the piers to the footings with rebar. Thanks,
-- Jeff
Sand? If you are in Florida the footing has to be 18" x 18" x 18" cube. (I just did this under a permit) It has more to do with uplift than down load.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (Jeff) wrote:

This falls under the ever popular "check local regulations", as it is real hard to tell over the 'net.

Pier footing for a lake? ocean? river? Weight of finished product? frost/freeze?
We are not mind readers.
WAG 4 inches into the ground on dry land would not be enough