Are Bigfeet necessary for pier footings?

I am pouring some 8" pier footings with sonotubes to support a deck. They will go down 4' into sand. Do I need to use bigfoot footings, or can I just pour my own 12" square 6" deep footings at the bottom of the hole right over the sand? I plan on securing the piers to the footings with rebar. Thanks,

-- Jeff

Reply to
Jeff

Sand? If you are in Florida the footing has to be 18" x 18" x 18" cube. (I just did this under a permit) It has more to do with uplift than down load.

Reply to
Greg

This falls under the ever popular "check local regulations", as it is real hard to tell over the 'net.

Reply to
John Hines

Pier footing for a lake? ocean? river? Weight of finished product? frost/freeze?

We are not mind readers.

WAG 4 inches into the ground on dry land would not be enough

Reply to
SQLit