Are ALL front loader washers junk?!!

Page 3 of 3
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

If you thought consumer front loaders were expensive, be prepared for a severe shock when you see what commercial front loaders go for.

You should know that top loaders now have the same energy and water use restrictions that front loaders do, so by definition, you will be hard pressed to find one that cleans as well as a front loader...
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

That reminds me of a story. I once helped someone troubleshoot a severe vibration problem with their new front-loading washer. The vibration was so bad that the machine literally walked! After examining the machine and reading the installation instructions, I realized that the drum of the washing machine was supported by a suspension system, which was supposed to isolate the washing machine housing from vibrations of the moving parts inside. The suspension system was immobilized at the factory with braces, which needed to be removed during installation, presumably to protect the machine during shipping. It turned out that the installer had neglected to remove those braces. The machine worked normally after the braces were removed.
If you still have the machine, you may want to have it checked to see if you have the same problem.
(I'm not recommending, one way or the other, that you check the machine yourself, especially if it involves opening up the machine and reaching into the electrical/mechanical parts inside. If you decide to do it, make sure that you unplug the power before you do anything. Exercise caution and common sense. And beware of the potential for injuries. Don't do it if you're not mechanically inclined or if you don't feel up to the job.)
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I don't think you find a top loader this side of The Pond. they have been the standard product since the 1960s. Some are problems and others are not.
I've been mostly happy with my front-loading LG over the last four years or so, averaging around 10 loads a week. (Family of five, twins were still in diapers when we got it, older sister is now a teenager....)
It did have one serious failure, a capacitor failed on a circuit board that should have taken five minutes to replace if it had been stocked in the U.S.....
<http://www.phred.org/~josh/
My parents Maytag Neptune front loader is 10 years old. Had only 1 repair plus the free mold elimination upgrade in those 10 years.
I have a 5 year old Whirlpool built Kenmore. No repairs so far.
Both front loaders.

snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

I have a front loader purchased in 1996. It has worked flawlessly. It was maufactured by a US company. But today I would buy European version. I suspect you should have addressed the vibration initially.
sandpounder wrote:

I bought an LG front loader in Europe when I lived there two years ago. I liked it so much that I brought it back with me. It is 250V and I had to get two wires from a dryer close by and a ground from a different 120V outlet. It has operated flawlessly and I have noticed several times that it will start to vibrate when it begins to spin. Then it slows down, sprays in some water and will rotate slowly for a minute or two and then take off to its max speed. I paid about $400 for it and I have noticed since that front loader prices seem to be much higher here in the U.S.

What European versions would you take a look at?
snipped-for-privacy@privacy.net wrote:

Euro stuff tends to be over hyped. Personally if you want to skip the quasi-US assembled in Mexico brands, I'd look at LG (Korean).