Architect pleads not guilty in firefighter's death

<<LOS ANGELES (AP) - A German architect who built and designed a sprawling mansion in the Hollywood Hills pleaded not guilty to manslaughter Wednesday in the death of a firefighter who was killed battling a blaze when a ceiling saturated with water collapsed on him.. Gerhard Albert Becker, who also owned the home, entered his plea in Los Angeles County Superior Court. He was jailed on $2 million bail and ordered to return to court March 1 for a preliminary hearing.Becker was also the home's construction contractor, and authorities say the shoddy way he put it together, including putting a fireplace on the third floor that was designed only for outside use, led to the fire.>>
http://www.usatoday.com/news/story/2012-02-15/los-angeles-firefighter-death/53110684/1
So, how does a "deathtrap" like this manage to pass inspection in the first place?
-- Bobby G.

I would agree that if he knowingly built the house in a totally unsafe fashion that caused the fire, he is responsible. However, I'd like to see other cases where a fire was started by gross negligence and if they were charged with manslaughter? Like all the folks who use cigarettes improperly. When those houses burn down and other people die, do they get charged?
Another interesting one is the house in CT where the 3 children and grandparents died Xmas from the boyfriend/contractor throwing out hot ashes in a paper bag. Last I heard the local police had concluded the investigation about a week ago and turned everything over to the state attorney general.