AprilAire Humidifier?

Page 3 of 3
The OP says it's already warm in the apartment. How would hot air "generate moisture"? The moisture (water) comes from the water pipe. Supplying hot water would help, as hot water evaporates more easily. However, that needs someone mechanically minded, to change the water feed.
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Stormin Mormon wrote:

Hmmm, Then you haven't looked into how Aprilaire works? I installed one on my furnace. It is not spray tipe.
I used to install them. What tipe do you have, if it's not the spray tipe?
--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus
Dan wrote:

I have a stand alone ultrasonic humidifier of the type I recommend to folks all the time. I have a Sunbeam unit that has worked well for years. I've worked on HVAC systems for 35 years and in all that time I've never seen a duct mounted humidifier that was working after being in place for 3 to 5 years. The reason being that people will not maintain the darn things. One of the biggest problems is minerals in the water clogging up the different types of units. Your father might be better off with a unit like one of these:
http://tinyurl.com/5p6g9u
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

I agree that an evaporative unit needs maintenance once or twice a year, but I find that preferable to adding more dust (dissolved minerals) to my house.
Boden
Boden wrote:

Duh! The in duct humidifier puts a water mist (especially the spray type) containing minerals into the ductwork where it distributed throughout the home. Another problem could be dampness in the ductwork or stagnant water in a malfunctioning humidifier that is not serviced because it is out of sight out of mind. Have you ever heard of a little beastie called Legionnaires' disease? A properly functioning in duct humidifier is a wonderful thing if homeowners would maintain the damn things. In my experience, unless a homeowner is willing to pay for a service contract with a competent, conscientious service company that will perform the proper maintenance on their in duct humidifier, it will quit working. I've seen it time and time again. It's like an old English sports car, don't get one unless you have lots of money or know how to work on it yourself.
TDD
The Daring Dufas wrote:

Not everyone is so inept that they can't maintain their own humidifier without resorting to one of the guild members. It only takes a few minutes to do, but it does need to be done. Not all in duct humidifiers put a water mist into the duct. That's why evaporative units are cleaner and better. With the humidity controls available now excessive moisture and the possibility of Legionnaires' disease are not a great risk...certainly not one I fear.
BTW, I spend far less time maintaining my two furnaces and humidifiers than I ever did keeping my Triumph TR3 and TR4 up and running.
on 11/23/08 11:17 PM The Daring Dufas said the following:

those work well for a small room with a closed door; i.e. sleeping. other living space is useless as there is not enough capacity.
Dan wrote:

Put it by the return air. *snicker*
TDD

Sell the humidifier and caulk the condo.
Nick
On Nov 24, 3:47am, snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu wrote:

I agree with the advice to switch it to using hot water. That is recommended by Aprilaire to increase the evaporation rate. And don't worry about the cost of using hot water. You're paying to heat the water one way or the other either way. Using cold water, some furnace heat goes to raising the temp. With hot, that energy is being supplied by the water heater. If both are gas, it's about a wash. If you have electric water heater, then there is going to be some cost diff, but not all that much.
But first, I would verify that it is actually running all the time when the furnace is running. Don't know how he's measuring 23 RH, but many of the humdidty gauges vary widely. Key questions are if it feels comfortable, and there are no static shocks. If you start getting condensation on windows, you know it's too high. And better to err on the side of a little too low.
On Nov 24, 7:55am, snipped-for-privacy@optonline.net wrote:

Forgot to add: Don't run the blower constantly. That is going to increase the electric bill substantially. Another obvious factor is how cold of an area you are in. If it's somewhere dry, but not cold enough that the furnace runs enough, then a furnace humidifier isn't going to work well. But I think those cases are very rare. In such a case, a seperate stand alone humidifier in the house may be better.

Sell the humidifier and caulk the condo. Dry winter air is a sign of too much air leakage. Given internal humidity sources (breathing, cooking, cleaning, showers, green plants) a perfectly airtight house would need wintertime DEhumidification.
Nick
on 11/24/08 9:27 AM snipped-for-privacy@ece.villanova.edu said the following:

Who has real indoor plants anymore?

Bacharach Inctruments makes a good inexpensive sling psychrometer that is far more accurate than the plastic film sensors used by Aprilaire and others.
http://www.bacharach-inc.com/sling-psychrometer.htm

33% what is outside temp, what type of humidistat are you reading. All analog need calibrating and most cant be calibrated. Taylors best analog model states to calibrate every 6-9 months, and they make alot of unaccurate junk too. Start by asking him if he has condensation on any windows or anywhere like window sills, if so he has way to much humidity. Get a good digital humidistat, if you go to a store that has a display of analog units look and see how they will be 15% varied, most are junk. If the other 2 units are humidified he may not need anything additional, humidity moves around well. I have no humidifer on, its 32 out and 40RH, I dont need one yet. I have a bypass mode for summer with my april air, does his flow excess water down the drain, it should, open it and look and check airflow and waterflow. Does his have an outside thermostat.
on 11/24/08 9:10 AM ransley said the following:

He has a LaCrosse weather station ~$150
on 11/24/08 9:10 AM ransley said the following:

It is now getting down to low 20's at night.