AprilAire Humidifier?

More wrong information, April Air doesnt agree with you on using hot water.

Reply to
ransley

Really? Check out the bottom of page 10 of the owners manual

"Hot supply water, 140°F maximum, is recommended with drain type humidifiers for increasing capacity and is required for heat pump and air handler applications."

I ran hot water to mine.

Reply to
Josh

Bacharach Inctruments makes a good inexpensive sling psychrometer that is far more accurate than the plastic film sensors used by Aprilaire and others.

Boden

I was saying hot is recommended, Bubba was saying it wont help, you know Bubba the heat pro.

Reply to
ransley

I used to install them. What tipe do you have, if it's not the spray tipe?

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

those work well for a small room with a closed door; i.e. sleeping. other living space is useless as there is not enough capacity.

Reply to
Dan

Who has real indoor plants anymore?

Reply to
Dan

He has a LaCrosse weather station ~$150

Reply to
Dan

It is now getting down to low 20's at night.

Reply to
Dan

ransley.......do you ever get anything right? Of course that is what Aprilaire said. They sell humidifiers. Do you believe EVERYTHING you read or hear? Just because someone printed it doesnt mean its right. Try this (although it would require you having an instrument that you dont possess). While having a good quality infrared temperature gun, "shoot" the temperature of the water line and the pad in several different spots with and without the air running. Now switch the water line over to the hot side and take the same temperature reading points again. Ive done it, thus the reason I posted what I did. Do it yourself. Now shut the hell up and learn something. Try and "Step OUT of the box." Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Put it by the return air. *snicker*

TDD

Reply to
The Daring Dufas

On Mon 24 Nov 2008 09:27:49a, ransley told us...

Sorry, but it?s been years since we?ve lived in that house. I don?t remember the model.

Reply to
Wayne Boatwright

I made the change at Aprilaire's recommendation and the switch made a huge difference. It could be seen in my humidity measurements, and, more important, could be easily seen and felt in the house. The gain in humidity was experienced in less than a day. I can't imagine that Aprilaire would have recommended it "because they sell humidifiers". If they sold hot water heaters, I could possibly find some slight logic to your argument....

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

You just hang onto that little pipe dream there, Smarty. Perhaps tomorrow you can click your red ruby slippers together 3 times and say, "There's no place like home, There's no place like home, There's no place like home". Next thing you know, you will be back in Kansas. Bubba

Reply to
Bubba

Bubba,

This is directly from the Aprilaire web literature. I can send you other links if you want to see them. Please save your red slipper nonsense for a discussion with children.

  1. Should our humidifier be connected with hot or cold water? All of our flow-through units can be connected to hot or cold water. Hot water increases the evaporative capacity of your humidifier, provides more humidity to the and offers more flexibility in the operation of the humidifier. We would recommend that they be connected to hot water. With any drain-through Aprilaire humidifier connected to hot water, the heat in the water is used in the evaporation process and the water coming out of the drain will be cold to the touch.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Bubba,

Here is another citation. Note that this is NOT from a manufacturer of humidifiers, and thus (using your strange logic) is not trying to sell you a humidifier:

Why is my humidifier hooked up to hot water? Most humidifiers are hooked up to a cold water source but in certain situations where more humidity is required or the water supply is very mineral rich, the manufacturer recommends hooking up to warm/hot water. This will automatically increase the humidification capacity of the unit and help to prevent annoying mineral buildup in the unit which is the leading cause of malfunction. The two positions are usually used in conjunction with a central air cleaning system.

Smarty

Reply to
Smarty

Maybe you should start designing humidifies if you know more about them than AprilAir does.

I might add that for my installation, the water feeding the humidifier is hot most of the time when it is on.

Reply to
jmeehan

I have mine hooked to the hot water supply as well. Bubba obviously doesn't understand very simple science. How water will always evaporate at a higher rate than cold water. That's why clothes dryers heat the clothes instead of just tumbling them around.

The real test of course would be to measure how much water comes out the drain with the exact same input flow of hot and cold. I bet Aprilaire has done that. Bubba hasn't.

Reply to
trader4

So, Bubba- Could you explain the physics in your universe where you can convert 56degree H2O to a vapor as quickly as you can convert

120degree H2O?

Jim [bet you also have one of those freezers where hot water freezes faster than cold?]

Reply to
Jim Elbrecht

You, Smarty, Jim and ransley have about the same mental brain capacity as a knat. Hot water WILL evaporate better than cold in certain circumstances. Drying clothes with a 30amp electrical circuit doesn't even come close to the amount of heat in the water for a humidifier. The water line is

1/4" OD diameter. Pressure is usually around 65psi and it is then squeezed through a tiny little plastic orifice before it starts to drip down over the pad. The orifice alone causes a lot of the water temperature drop. Then, as soon as the air from the furnace blower hits it at about 800 to 1200 or more CFM, the temperature disappears in an instant. As I stated in a previous post to ransley the idiot, I've already tested it. That's why I know. It does absolutely next to nothing to evaporate any more water. Now if you could get it to flood your pad with about a gallon a minute of !40 degree or higher water temperature, then you might have something. You guys are just mouthy idiots and don't bother testing what you read. So ducking gullible. Test something on your own for once. Bubba
Reply to
Bubba