Aprilaire 600 humidity output

Pad appears to be a paper coated aluminum honeycomb. They mention paper on the box but you can see aluminum showing through. It is not like the sponge like pad I had on an old Sears unit which every now and then I'd take off and soak in dilute vinegar to remove salts. When I replace the pad each year I note a lot of dried salts which I vacuum out but pad is not full of them. Pads are maybe $5-7 which is not a big expense.

In the summer, we shut off water to the pad and not sure what difference it will make but will close mine next summer.

Reply to
Frank

Hi, I monitor every thing on my Davis weather station console. Right now Outdoor temp. is 2C, indoor 20.5C steady, Dew point -2C, Outdoor humidity 75%, Indoor 42%. Davis is pro grade instrument. In winter time I try to keep condensation off windows keeping humidity level proper. My humidifier is tied to furnace blower, so whenever blower runs it does too.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

ain! Unfortunately I'm Chinese but I always wished I could understand Kore an :D

air flow from supply to the humidifier(the one that I could control with th e horizontal/vertical switch), then yes I did double check and make sure it was fully on. I've also tried different water flow from the hot water sup ply, from minimum to maximum, humidity output did not change. The humidity monitor I was using was AcuRite 00613A1 Indoor Humidity Monitor. Bought f rom Amazon, not sure if it's okay to post links here so I'll just skip that for now. Anyways for the two years since I had it its performance had bee n satisfactory for me, it was able to sense humidity changes and never fluc tuated when in a stable environment.

have was 16%, therefore the hot air I was measuring probably was even lower than 16%, this is the main thing I was concerned about, and also why I thi nk I might be >experiencing something different from other people who has t he same unit.

oming much higher than 16% sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if this hot/ cold air difference will be able to account for the difference between the

45% and 16%. The humidifier should not sense the outside temperature becau se when I had it installed I specifically asked for them to not put in the automatic one, but the manual one instead.

different numbers, no digital display.

ut of register is reasonable or not, if it is, I probably shouldn't even bo ther getting the service guy back in again. But if it's not, I'm thinking whether there are other hardware configuration problems involved that they could make improvements on.

t to a higher humidity level when my family really needs it. But again I r eally don't think that is the issue here.

it to 45%, but if I set it to ~30%, it stops.

ave 2 years of experience with it and it had been functioning well, again I 'm getting another one in to make sure, but if you think the whole model is just not accurate I probably won't be able to invest more money to get som ething better and more accurate.

y tell the difference between wet all over and partly wet, am I supposed to see stream on every single wire or just a very tiny thin layer of water th at's hardly observable? Or just drops of water here and there? The draini ng water seemed to all stick to the side of the tubing and not forming a st ream.

Thanks Tony for the info! As I remember you only set your humidifier to

30% to 35%? If you are getting 42% humidity from that same exact humidifie r, in your much bigger house. I really don't see why mine can only get to 37% when set to 45%. Maybe it's just like what trader said, my furnace is not blowing enough. But really I felt the driest when the furnace was blow ing.
Reply to
Hongyi Kang

Hi, Today weather is mild so humidity can be high like that but when cold like -30C I have to keep humidity down around 30% or little bit less to prevent condensation. Summer time, a/c is running so humidifier is shut off. Usually humidistat is mounted side by side with thermostat. If you can turn on the fan on your thermostat, it'll circulate air in the house for more even temp. and humidifier can run too. Usually furnace cycles like 3 times an hour or so, but if you let the fan run all the time, humidifier will run all the time too.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

g again! Unfortunately I'm Chinese but I always wished I could understand Korean :D

the air flow from supply to the humidifier(the one that I could control wit h the horizontal/vertical switch), then yes I did double check and make sur e it was fully on. I've also tried different water flow from the hot water supply, from minimum to maximum, humidity output did not change. The humi dity monitor I was using was AcuRite 00613A1 Indoor Humidity Monitor. Boug ht from Amazon, not sure if it's okay to post links here so I'll just skip that for now. Anyways for the two years since I had it its performance had been satisfactory for me, it was able to sense humidity changes and never fluctuated when in a stable environment.

can have was 16%, therefore the hot air I was measuring probably was even l ower than 16%, this is the main thing I was concerned about, and also why I think I might be >experiencing something different from other people who h as the same unit.

ity out of it.

ecoming much higher than 16% sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if this ho t/cold air difference will be able to account for the difference between th e 45% and 16%. The humidifier should not sense the outside temperature bec ause when I had it installed I specifically asked for them to not put in th e automatic one, but the manual one instead.

to different numbers, no digital display.

out of register is reasonable or not, if it is, I probably shouldn't even bother getting the service guy back in again. But if it's not, I'm thinkin g whether there are other hardware configuration problems involved that the y could make improvements on.

t to a higher humidity level when my family really needs it. But again I r eally don't think that is the issue here.

outdoor temp compensation will do is reduce

will reduce it to maybe 35%, which is more appropriate for that temperatur e, so you don't get condensation at windows, inside walls, etc. If you

it to 45%, but if I set it to ~30%, it stops.

ave 2 years of experience with it and it had been functioning well, again I 'm getting another one in to make sure, but if you think the whole model is just not accurate I probably won't be able to invest more money to get som ething better and more accurate.

y tell the difference between wet all over and partly wet, am I supposed to see stream on every single wire or just a very tiny thin layer of water th at's hardly observable? Or just drops of water here and there? The draini ng water seemed to all stick to the side of the tubing and not forming a st ream.

I can definitely adjust the humidity level when there is condensation, the thing is, I'm wondering if my humidifier is functioning right. My furnace I believe is a 49,500/76,000 BTU, which I really don't know if it's too much. But if it is, I should probably expect the humidity in house to rise when the weather gets colder? So far we felt the driest and the humidistat gave the lowest reading when the weather was lowest. We can see when it get s really cold how the humidity is, but I really feel that it will just go eve n lower. And that's what I'm worried about right now.

I checked the water panel, it was wet everywhere, and the unit was level as well, the distribution tray had water evenly distributed in it, all the 4 little holes had water going through and downwards.

Reply to
Hongyi Kang

[...]

it to a higher humidity level when my family really needs it. But again I really don't think that is the issue here.

et it to 45%, but if I set it to ~30%, it stops.

have 2 years of experience with it and it had been functioning well, again I'm getting another one in to make sure, but if you think the whole model is just not accurate I probably won't be able to invest more money to get s omething better and more accurate.

lly tell the difference between wet all over and partly wet, am I supposed to see stream on every single wire or just a very tiny thin layer of water that's hardly observable? Or just drops of water here and there? The drai ning water seemed to all stick to the side of the tubing and not forming a stream.

ifier, in your much bigger house. I really don't see why mine can only get to 37% when set to 45%. Maybe it's just like what trader said, my furnace is not blowing enough. But really I felt the driest when the furnace was blowing.

Hi Tony,

My humidifier is probabaly configured differently than yours, because when I turn the fan to on instead off auto, the water supply to the humidifier doe sn't turn on. It only runs when the heat is on.

Reply to
Hongyi Kang

Yes, Enter is a carriage return (CR) It does help a lot, but you shouldn't have to do that. Still, Don knows more than I do about electronics, so he probably knows more than I here too.

I think it takes more than that. Are you at a particular website, like groups.google.com?

Reply to
micky

Hi, Usually furnace control board has terminals marked "HUM" meaning humidifier hook up there. Simply humidifier solenoid needs 24V AC in series with humidistat. When humidity is called for contacts in the humidistat makes supplying the 24V AC power to the solenoid. Aprilaire package comes with a small 24V AC transformer for this purpose. In case there is no "HUM" terminals. Then power source has to be tied into blower power utilising that transformer. Turning fan on does not start humidifier? you better call the service tech and ask him to make it work like it should. Being a retired EE I always tell HVAC service techs leave electrical part to me, don't bother with it. Once I teased a guy who installed my high efficiency furnace and a/c for an upgrade, I asked him to install wireless thermostat I got, he did not want to saying he never installed one. I wish I were your neighbor, I could straighten things out for you like nothing. Is your name ?? My BIL who is HVAC commercial estimator, mechanical engineer's name is ???. Come to think of it, maybe they made the humidifier to come on when heat comes on which is not ideal.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

When I was a teen, I used to put hot water in a spray bottle and spray hot water mist into the air near the ceiling. It would evaporate on the way down. Quick and easy. Parents did not have a humidifier, so I pumped water into the air.

The pot on the stove is an old favorite of people who burn wood.

I agree, it's good for testing. See if she and you both feel better.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Sounds like more humidity does good. The portable humidifier sounds like it worked for awhile.

But, it would be nice to get the real humidifier working properly.

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

You know, it would be a bad surprise if the tube from the heat to the humidifier had a damper in it, and that additional damper were shut.

From here, it sounds like every thing "should" be fine. I am puzzled.

May I please write you by email, not on the home repair list?

- . Christopher A. Young Learn about Jesus

.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

Why would there be cold spots in the interior walls? Or the exterior wall inside the insulation.

AFA wwater near electric outlets, what's that going to do. Trip a breaker at most.

I have an extension cord I use with my electric lawn mower. I've left it outside for 10 years, day and night, 365 days a year lying in the rain and under the snow. It's never tripped the breaker, and it's a ground fault breaker that knows how to trip.

Reply to
micky

I am indeed on groups.google.com

Reply to
Hongyi Kang

Because insulation isn't put in perfectly, even in new houses. And then you have areas where there is no insulation, or minimal insulation, eg where there is an electrical outlet box, recessed lights, a pipe going through a wall, etc. In old homes, who knows what you have. There are bound to be cold spots, and if excess humidity is condensing on the windows, it's bound to be condensing elsewhere, where you can't see it. Like maybe in the attic, because vapor barriers aren't perfect either and an old home may not even have one. Every credible building authority that I've seen talk about humidity, warns that excess humidity can cause damage and that you should not go above about 45%, lower as it gets colder outside. If you want water stains, peeling paint, rotting wood, that's up to you, crank it up to 75%+

Fine, have water dripping out of your outlets if you want.

Another sound practice. Who could argue with that?

Reply to
trader_4

[...]

What does your weather station say the humidity is in Hongyi's house?

Reply to
trader_4

[...]

Keep in mind

hat air cools

it above 40%.

dity out of it.

becoming much higher than 16% sounds reasonable, but I'm not sure if this hot/cold air difference will be able to account for the difference between the 45% and 16%. The humidifier should not sense the outside temperature b ecause when I had it installed I specifically asked for them to not put in the automatic one, but the manual one instead.

g to different numbers, no digital display.

ht out of register is reasonable or not, if it is, I probably shouldn't eve n bother getting the service guy back in again. But if it's not, I'm think ing whether there are other hardware configuration problems involved that t hey could make improvements on.

st it to a higher humidity level when my family really needs it. But again I really don't think that is the issue here.

set it to 45%, but if I set it to ~30%, it stops.

id have 2 years of experience with it and it had been functioning well, aga in I'm getting another one in to make sure, but if you think the whole mode l is just not accurate I probably won't be able to invest more money to get something better and more accurate.

eally tell the difference between wet all over and partly wet, am I suppose d to see stream on every single wire or just a very tiny thin layer of wate r that's hardly observable? Or just drops of water here and there? The dr aining water seemed to all stick to the side of the tubing and not forming a stream.

idifier, in your much bigger house. I really don't see why mine can only g et to 37% when set to 45%. Maybe it's just like what trader said, my furna ce is not blowing enough. But really I felt the driest when the furnace wa s blowing.

doesn't turn on. It only runs when the heat is on.

There are a lot of humidifiers wired so that they are only on when the burner is on, including mine. Nothing wrong with it, no problems here. I do agree that if he gets his changed, then he could run it as much as he wants, but I haven't found the need. It will have less output without the benefit of the hot air though.

Reply to
trader_4

Worth noting, google groups is a portal to Usenet, which is a much older message system.

You are actually not talking (writing) with google people for the most part.

Reply to
Stormin Mormon

To op If you want more humidity, did you try just turning the control upfull for a few days? I try to keep the house at 40% in the winter and it takes a lot of water to do that. And yes i get condensation on the cold glass, but that is normal, if you have humidity and cold glass, you will have condensation.

You might try a warm mist vaporizer in the bed rom. Make sure it is a warm mist type that actually heats the water, not the spinning disc type that slings the water and not an ultrasonic type.

Unfortunatly the warm mist type need a lot of maintenance but that is just The nature of evaporating water that contains minerals.

Get a digital humidity meter off ebay for a few bucks.

Also re google, with all the smart people they claim to have, you would think they would get the Cr thing roght. Maybe they are not as smart as they think. The zoom feature also does not work right When viweing google groups on an ipad.

Mark

Reply to
makolber

Hi, If you study furnace control board, humidifier and electronic air clear are to run when blower comes on. Where I am in winter time R.H. can be below zero(that dry), if it runs only when heat comes on, humidity in the house will never reach to proper level. For various reasons blower is on all the time at low speed. Some humidifier packages come with sail switch to be mounted in the duct to sense the air flow and trigger the humidification.

Reply to
Tony Hwang

Hi, It is free standing on a pole outside in my front yard. It measures all the weather related parameters and relay that to my console via Wireless. It has WWV synch'd clock, runs on solar/rechargeable battery combo. thru USB port it is connected to NOAA net. They collect lot of local weather conditions to micro manage forecasting. Check out the Davis products. It is expensive but worth the money.

Reply to
Tony Hwang