April Air filters

Hello: We are looking to install some extra air filters in our home. Our service man said he will install what is called "April Air filter" which sounded like an additional particle filter, that will remove

99.6% of the air particles. It will cost us 400$ for the installation/hardware/2 years worth supplies.

Is this a good choice. Are there better options ? Will you advice Hepa B filters ( or any of those costly electronic filters )

We are expecting our first baby in the next couple of months. So wanted this to be done before that.

Thanks

--nw

Reply to
Norris Watkins

Im a homeowner and no Atty. Burt If you are refering to furnace filters there is a sealing problem with April Air, 2200 the filter holder doesnt seal completely at the top of the unit allowing dust to bypass the unit . I also had the rear seal blow out I didnt notice it for a year, It allowed so much bypass that my 500 duct cleaning job was ruined. I found this out when removing the basement ducts to insulate them . So we hand washed the ducts. April Air refused any reimbursement . I am suing them for a faulty design , a new air filter and duct cleaning for 2 locations I have April air. April air Filter media is good, but a pain in the ass to replace. It is the case unit , and the unit that holds the filter, that is of poor design. Something called maybe Air Bear is a tight fitting design and the filters are easy to replace. Remember that high filter rating of 99.6 is acheived when the filter is nearly clogged, their efficiency is much lower when new, and different size particles are filterd at different rates. Consumer reports recently reviewed them . But refuse response to my question of Case seals, and air bypass

Reply to
m Ransley

I have one of their humidifies and believe it is one of the best around. I don't know much about their air cleaners other than them make both media and electronic.

Check out:

and see what they have.

Reply to
Joseph Meehan

I have never used the item in question, but Mark seems definitely down on them.

I had an Honeywell electronic filter and thoroughly hated cleaning it. I replaced the electronic filter element with a 4" pleated filter. It works fine, and I can't tell any difference. They sell just the pleated filter, though I don't know what it would cost you.

Reply to
Toller

Their humidifiers are very good as well may be their higher end air filter, its a new unit Electronic + Media . Also the 2200 is rebadged as Lennox and has one seal redesigned . I have the auto adjusting humidifier and am happy with it.

Reply to
m Ransley

Please do some reading at WW Grainger's for replacement air filters.

This is similar to what I use in my home. Get the Grainger catalog and they tell you about the different levels of cleaning. I use the one just down from the top because my air handler does not like the resistance from the best one. The filters say that they can be run for 2 months, I change every

30 days. The filters come in a 12 pack, 12 months. $5-6 bucks a piece if you do not buy them on sale. (semi-annual air filter sale, I try to hit one of them)

I have 2 Sharper Ionic breezes. Easy to clean silent and no added pressure to the a/c system. I have no floaties in the air, with 2 dogs that is a pretty good trick. I purchased one of the 1 inch thick filters that you can clean with a hose. Never worked very well for the small particles. 1" pleated paper for me. Just one persons opinion.

Reply to
SQLit

Hepa filters for the home are a waste of money at the present moment. You are better off with a single 1 inch pleated paper, NOT the 3M brand, or a 4 inch Air Bear type. AprilAire currently makes a fine filter, but the filter base will at times leak. Air Bear is currently the filter of choice, and in MOST cases you will indeed need a manual D done to insure that your static pressure is not effected in a negative way by the addition of it.

If you are expecting, consider using the AirBear, and a UV-C band lamp for the ductwork. You will be amazed at how well the combination works. Do not consider the Ion Particle generation units, like the Ionic Breeze...bad mistake if you read up on them, you will understand why.

Reply to
CBhvac