Approx. cost of asphalt overlay

I have an asphalt driveway. I am considering an asphalt overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after. I do not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete. Thanks. Don

do realize all current cracks will re appear within a year or two. potholes if any will reappear.
overlays are good cheaper fixes when your selling but offer little over time.

The price per foot varies considerably. For a 200 foot driveway the same equipment has to be brought on site as a 10,000 foot drive. Then there are the obstacles that may or may not be present.
I just had some work done and got five prices from local asphalt contractors. They varied from $68,000 to $155,000 for the exact same work. Quite a spread. We went with the $105,000 guy as he has the best reputation. My guess is that you can get that big of a range in your situation also.
As for overlay, some won't do it, depending or condition. It you have a lot of "alligatoring" or bare spots, they will come back again and you will blame the contractor. That is why the better guys won't do it unless it is in very good condition.
Oh, typical thickness is 1.5 inches for top and 1.5 for base. Heavy use, such as trucking weight, may get 2 and 2.
Don Tuttle wrote:

I am in process of brushing on my own top coat, ~6000 sq/ft, with Henry 532 (7 year formula). I am getting about 300-350 sq/ft per 5 gallon bucket @ $25.00 per bucket. The advertised coverage is 250-500 sq/ft per bucket. Depends on the condition and texture of your existing asphalt.
Kevin

In my area a year ago I was quoted $1.25/sq ft for recap of 1400 sq ft of existing driveway from two different companies. However, even though both had the same price per sq ft, one said they did a 1.5" recap while the other did a 2" recap. We never did either, so couldnt tell you one way or the other if its a good idea. Also, one disclaimer on these prices...since they're old I wouldnt use them as a super accurate reference...one guy I talked to this year said their prices have jumped considerably with the spike in oil prices. Still, hope that helps a little anyway.

Depends. Plain seal coat is inexpensive, but as stated, it is hard to find a company that will send a lot of gear out to do a small job, as it would take the same amount of gear to do a larger area. The new thing is open grade, where a machine comes in, shaves off some of the asphalt, mixes it with other things, and immediately relays it. About a third the cost of seal coating, and lasts longer, but for a small job, not something a contractor would want to mess with. And then there are the gypsies. What you want is difficult, as most people won't want to mess with it, and those who do will want a lot. But then, work is slow all over, and maybe the market is different now.
Steve
My original message:

overlay/resurfacing of typical thickness. What would be an approximate cost per sq ft for this, assuming a sound base and relatively problem-free installation? Just the ballpark is all I am after. I do not want to remove/replace, nor do I want concrete.<<
Thanks for all replies.
I would like to try my question again, with info I should have included the first time.
I don't want to coat my present driveway. I want another layer of asphalt laid on top of the present one. Perhaps I should not have said "resurfacing" which I now see could mean brushing/spraying on a new surface topcoating.
The contractor who built my neighborhood decades ago installed this driveway for his own house, so I assume it was done correctly. It is in pretty good condition considering its age.
It is a long driveway. My rough estimate is 13,000 square feet. This sounds to me like a sufficiently large project that somebody ought to be interested in doing it.
Stratford1 was quoted "$1.25/sq ft for recap of 1400 sq ft of existing driveway" a year ago. Would, say, $1.50/sq ft be a very rough approximation of what the cost might be today? About $20,000 (gulp) for the driveway?
Thanks to all. Don

Y-E-L-L-O-W P-A-G-E-S

does it hve cracks? potholes? sinking or heaving areas?
just hy do you want to recoat it?
Asphalt is a petroleum product. Like many other things, costs escalate daily. If you can get someone for $9/yard (1$/ SF) jump on it. Asphalt work is typically priced by the square yard, not feet.
--
Keep the whole world singing . . . .