Appliance (washing machine) assistance needed

I'll apologize up front if this begins to ramble...
In question is a 20 YO Maytag A110 washing machine, this model has the double drive belts, one for the 'tub' and the other for the water pump...
Over the last few weeks the machine has gotten progressively 'noisier', which just recently included a slapping' noise. A quick inspection of the belts and I see the 'cords' coming thru the H2O pump belt. Changing out the belts did not solve the noise, nor the 'slapping' sound.
After changing the belts, while doing a load of laundry, all of the sudden the 'noise' disappeared. Only sound remaining was the hum of the motor and a metallic rattling sound. Turns out the H2O pump belt was 'thrown' off the pulleys.
Deducing that with the pump belt off and the 'noise' gone, I replaced the pump. Put it all back together and all I've accomplished is lightening my wallet by $50...
I have now removed the motor and have a question about the pulley assembly mounted at the bottom end of the motor shaft. This is a two pulley assembly, held onto the shaft by a set screw. Of the two pulleys, the top (larger of the two) is solid. Both 'flanges' are solidly affixed to one another. The bottom pulley is not. Where as the upper flange is solidly affixed to the upper pulley. The lower flange is loose... Designed this way? or should this be one solid unit?
While I have the dryer apart, any appliance gurus out there have any suggestions/recommendations?
Rick
--
Computer recommends - Hard drinking calypso poet

Hi,

Check the belt tension and the motor pulley....
http://www.applianceaid.com/images/maybeltadjust.JPG
http://www.applianceaid.com/maywash_belt.html

The upper 1/2 of the pulley is pressed together, the lower 1/2 is solid...if the upper 1/2 is seperating or moving around replace the motor pulley. http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N08 Motor pulley for most Maytag washers.

: : Hi,
: The upper 1/2 of the pulley is pressed together, the lower 1/2 is : solid...if the upper 1/2 is seperating or moving around replace the : motor pulley. : http://www.repairclinic.com/referral.asp?R 3&N08 : Motor pulley for most Maytag washers. : Been crawling all over your sight already :-) Hadn't seen the link to the motor pulley. THANKS....
Rick
FYI - The replacement of the pulley solved the problem....
Rick

the
assembly,
of
this

Glad to hear that!! :)
Thankx for the update!!
: > FYI - The replacement of the pulley solved the problem.... : > : > Rick : : Glad to hear that!! :) : : Thankx for the update!! : : jeff. : Appliance Repair Aid : http://www.applianceaid.com /
FYI for anyone else out there - If you are experiencing any crescendo building/dropping screeching/scraping noise, check the condition of the pulley... If it is not a single piece anymore, replace it...
--
pray4surf

It's too gnarly a day for the classroom, mon